W. Basketball: VanDerveer to be inducted into Hall of Fame

Aug. 11, 2011, 1:31 a.m.

Women’s basketball coach Tara VanDerveer will be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame this Friday in Springfield, Mass. Her selection was announced in early April.

In her 25 seasons on the Farm, VanDerveer has racked up over 800 wins and taken the Cardinal women to the Final Four nine times, including all of the last four years. She has led the squad to the postseason every year since her third season coaching at Stanford.

The six-time National Coach of the Year also took the Cardinal to the NCAA Championship in 1990 and 1992. Her teams have won over 90 percent of their games at Maples Pavilion and have gone undefeated at home for a season 11 times.

VanDerveer will become the ninth Stanford women’s basketball coach inducted into the Hall of Fame.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.