The Daily brief: August 19, 2011

One Boss, Two Boss | The days of PHB are waning as more workers are adapting to reporting to a team of several bosses as companies flatten and reorganize their organizational structure. Management Science and Engineering professor Robert Sutton and the Harvard Business Review shares some tips on how to cope.

Space Weather | Listening to the sun can lead to more accurate sunspot predictions and space weather reports, according to a recent study from Stanford researchers. Solar flares can often disrupt satellite-dependent communications and technologies and potentially lead to millions of dollars in lost business, making early detection all the more valuable.

DOE Fellows | Three Stanford scholars have been named fellows of the Department of Energy. Incoming Ph.D. students Geoffrey Main and Christopher Young each received a Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration Stewardship Science Graduate Fellowship, while incoming Ph.D. student Matthew Zahr won the Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship.

Overheard | “I’m really happy to see game designers joining a very old cultural tradition of re-imagining biblical stories through new artistic media.” — professor of religious studies Steven Weitzman on El Shaddai, a new video game based on the Book of Enoch and featuring characters in the Bible.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest