The Daily brief: September 6, 2011

Finishing the SEQ | The University has mapped out its plans to construct the fourth and last component of the Stanford Engineering Quad (SEQ). The Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering Building features designs aimed to save energy and promote group work. Bioengineering hopes the structure will facilitate the development of its undergraduate program.

Remembering 9/11 | Stanford announced it will commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11 with the National Requiem of Remembrance. The concert will be held at Memorial Church this Sunday at 1:30 p.m. Robert Huw Morgan, university organist, will perform with choruses and soloists from around the country. “This event will be a fitting way for all of us who participate to pay tribute – whether as performers on the platform, or as members of the audience seated in the congregation,” said Gregory Wait, the conductor and music director of Schola Cantorum.

Space Junk | Small meteoroids pose a greater threat to spacecrafts than all the human debris orbiting the Earth, according to a report recently published by professor of astronautics Sigrid Close. Close’s proposal called for more attention and research on mechanisms for electrical failures and accidents caused by small, fast particles.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest