Palo Alto, firefighters reach agreement

The Palo Alto Fire Fighters Union voted Friday in approval of a new labor contract with the city that runs through June 30, 2014. The City Council tentatively approved the contract and is set to vote on it officially Oct. 17.

Many of the agreement’s provisions are derived from the city’s budget woes. The contract is projected to save Palo Alto $1.1 million this fiscal year and $1.5 million per year starting next July. Wages for firefighters will not increase for the duration of the agreement except for a two percent, cost-of-living increase; in fact, they will decrease by nine percent to compensate for an increase in prior agreements.

The contract also eliminates the staffing standard requiring that 29 firefighters be on duty at any given time.

“The firefighters are pleased to have worked with the city to come to an agreement on a contract that will cover our terms of employment with the city for the next three years,” said Tony Spitaleri, president of the Palo Alto Fire Fighters Union, in a press release from the union.

“In these tough economic times, it is important that we do what we can to make sure the city can meet its fiscal responsibilities,” he continued. “Like all negotiations, both sides came to compromise. We look forward to continuing to work with the city to provide the best services to the residents of Palo Alto.”

Compromises have also been struck with regard to the firefighters’ pension plans. Negotiations, which began 16 months ago, reached an impasse last February.

“I am pleased that we have been able to reach agreement with our Fire Fighters Union after a long negotiation period,” said Palo Alto Mayor Sid Espinosa in the city’s statement. “The city is not out of the woods financially, but this agreement with the firefighters is a necessary step forward.”

–Ellora Israni