M. Golf: Rodgers named Pac-12 Golfer of the Month

It didn’t take long for Patrick Rodgers to make an impact with the men’s golf team, as the freshman from Avon, Ill., won the individual title at the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational before classes had even started. On Wednesday, his efforts were rewarded once again, as commissioner Larry Scott announced Rodgers was named the Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the Month for September.

Rodgers beat out four other nominees to win the award after becoming the first Cardinal golfer to win his first collegiate tournament since a man by the name of Tiger Woods accomplished the feat in 1996. He played bogey-free golf in the final round under rainy conditions to steal the lead from teammate Cameron Wilson, finishing the event with a 54-hole total of 206.

Thanks to the team’s overall stellar play at Olympia Fields — the Cardinal placed three golfers in the top-four against a stacked field that included 10 top-25 schools — Stanford is now the No. 1 team in the country and will look to continue its recent string of success this weekend at The Prestige at PGA West Invitational.

—Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.