Stanford softball sweeps pair of weekend doubleheaders to complete fall season

The Stanford softball team played a very rude host to the San Francisco State and Santa Clara squads this weekend, sending both teams home disappointed after sweeping back-to-back doubleheaders on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday saw the Cardinal’s offense explode against the Gators in a pair of routs, as Stanford won by scores of 15-2 and 16-1. The runs came from up and down the lineup, but the strong performances by the Cardinal in the circle were perhaps more important.

Junior Teagan Gerhart and freshman Nyree White both were very sharp in their appearances, each pitching a game on Saturday and splitting duties in both games on Sunday against Santa Clara.

The Broncos put up a little more resistance but were still overmatched by a potent Stanford team that returns most of its starting lineup as well as its ace, Gerhart. The Cardinal beat Santa Clara 8-0 and 6-0 on Sunday, and White allowed just two hits as senior infielder Jenna Becerra hit a home run and senior catcher/outfielder Maya Burns hit a three-run double as part of a six-run fourth inning.

With the fall schedule complete, the Cardinal will have to wait until Feb. 10 to return to action as it kicks off the 2012 season at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz., against Cal State-Northridge.

– Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.