Andrew Luck a finalist for Walter Camp and Manning Awards

Dec. 1, 2011, 1:47 a.m.

Redshirt junior quarterback Andrew Luck was named one of five finalists for the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award and one of 10 finalists for the Manning Award on Wednesday.

Luck was also one of the finalists last year for the award named after legendary Yale football coach Walter Camp, which is voted on by the Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches and sports information directors — the winner will be announced next Thursday at 8 p.m. on ESPN’s SportsCenter.

With 3,170 passing yards and 35 touchdowns, the Houston native and son of former NFL quarterback Oliver Luck has played his way into the conversation for many of the nation’s top awards, leading Stanford to the No. 4 ranking and an 11-win season.

That includes Luck’s first nomination for the Manning Award, created in 2004 to honor the accomplishments of Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning. Open only to quarterbacks, previous winners include Cam Newton, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow and Matt Leinart. It is the only award that takes into consideration bowl performance, with the winner being announced on Jan. 18.

Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.