W. Basketball: Squad heads to Fresno State

Dec. 2, 2011, 1:41 a.m.

On the heels of a 93-44 win over UC-Davis, the Stanford women’s basketball team heads to Fresno State (5-2) for a 2 p.m. game on Sunday.

The Bulldogs are riding a four-game win streak into the weekend after an 81-71 win over previously undefeated Oregon yesterday, while the No. 5 Cardinal (5-1) has won two in a row after losing to No. 2 Connecticut on Nov. 21.

Last year, the Ogwumike sisters propelled Stanford past Fresno State 77-40, with now-sophomore forward Chiney posting her first career double-double. Currently riding a hot streak — the duo combined for 38 points and 18 rebounds against the Aggies on Wednesday — the pair has a good shot at yet another dominant performance against the Bulldogs. Senior forward Nnemkadi is averaging a double-double in points and rebounds, while Chiney is just shy of double figures in rebounds herself, with 9.7 boards per game to go along with 15.2 points.

After this weekend, Stanford will have two weeks off for finals before hosting Princeton, Tennessee and Cal-State Bakersfield in a six-day span at Maples Pavilion.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.