W. Volleyball: Carly Wopat earns All-American honors

Carly Wopat earned her second All-American honors of the year on Wednesday, as Volleyball Magazine named the middle blocker a First Team All-American — Wopat was already an American Volleyball Coaches Association honorable mention All-American.

The Santa Barbara, Calif. native was first in the Pac-12 in blocks per set with 1.63, and also ranked second nationally. After finishing third in the conference with a .383 hitting percentage, Wopat was also named to the AVCA All-Pacific Region and All-Pac-12 First Teams.

In addition, she was second on the team with 3.16 kills and 4.08 points per set, while becoming the first player to be named Pac-12 Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week this season.

While the Cardinal was upset in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, Wopat — whose twin sister Samantha is also on the team — posted a career-high 13 blocks in Stanford’s first round victory over Sacred Heart.

—Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.