Ravalations: The ProFros are coming! The ProFros are coming!

Opinion by Ravali Reddy

Ravalations: The ProFros are coming! The ProFros are coming!Admit Weekend 2012 starts today, and that means it’s only a matter of hours before eager ProFros descend upon campus with their parents in tow. As much as we current students like to complain and moan about Admit Weekend, we all remember how excited we were when it was our turn to come to campus for the first time as an admitted student. We’re glad it’s your turn, Class of 2016, so here are a few tips to make sure you get the most out of your Admit Weekend experience:

1. Actively seek out the people and student groups you are interested in.

Chances are you have spent many years of your life honing some great skill or talent. Some of you are fantastic musicians, others dancers and still others passionate community service project leaders. Others will want to leave their high school pursuits behind and pursue new interests in college. Whatever it is, you’re the only one who knows what you’re truly interested in, so use Admit Weekend to try to see what your options would be for pursuing your interests here at Stanford. Hearing about the hundreds of clubs that Stanford has is great, but that statistic doesn’t mean anything if you don’t know which clubs are relevant to you. Use Friday’s activities fair to actually put yourself in touch with the people you need to know. After all, not only are they the ones that can help get you involved when you arrive on the Farm in the fall, but there’s also a good chance that you can make a friend or two since you’re interested in the same things. And trust me, speaking as the captain of a dance team here on campus, I can tell you that we’re as (if not more) excited as you when you want to talk to us about joining our student group, so there’s no need to hesitate before introducing yourself.

2. Befriend your fellow ProFros.

I’m serious — do it. That having been said, be forewarned: Admit Weekend is awkward. You’re a bunch of high school seniors from across the world, stuck on a college campus together for a weekend. You all have something in common — after all, you all did get into Stanford — but you don’t have enough time to really get to know one other. Despite all of the awkwardness, you would be best served finding a few ProFros that you really get along with and exchanging numbers or adding each other on Facebook. Here’s why: At some point this summer, everyone in your life back home will get really tired of hearing you talk about Stanford. They don’t know what the difference between Wilbur and Stern is, so knowing what dorm you got assigned to doesn’t meant much to them. When this starts to happen to you, you’ll be glad you awkwardly exchanged numbers with the girl who sat next to you at the Dance Expo because you’ll have someone to text who will share your enthusiasm. And yes, this does actually happen. I’m still friends with three of the people I met at the Dance Expo during Admit Weekend 2010.

3. Get Stanford swag!

Stanford is not one of those campuses where people act like they’re too cool to wear anything that says their school’s name on it; we’re the total opposite. I know people who would plaster themselves in Stanford bumper stickers if they could. If you know you’re coming here, then grab some Cardinal and wear it with pride. We’re excited to have you, so welcome to the Stanford family!

4. Don’t be afraid if Stanford doesn’t seem like the place for you.

Everyone is going to spend all weekend telling you that Stanford is paradise, and it’s absolutely okay to disagree with that statement. I (obviously) love Stanford, and coming to Admit Weekend showed me that it was the place for me. Still, there’s a chance that you may not feel that way after heading home on Sunday. Don’t feel pressured to like Stanford just because it’s Stanford. Of course, we’d be thrilled to have you (that’s why you got in), but if you feel like you can’t see yourself calling this place home for the next four years, it’s okay. I’m sure you have tons of other amazing options and opportunities available to you, and I wish you the best of luck wherever it is you do end up!

Now excuse me while I go join in on setting up for this weekend’s festivities. Let Admit Weekend 2012 begin!

Speaking of shameless recruiting, Ravali would love to meet any ProFros interested in Bollywood fusion dance! Feel free to email her at ravreddy “at” stanford “dot” edu.