W. Golf: Women’s golf finishes seventh at Pac-12s, earns berth in NCAA West Regional

In the Pac-12 Women’s Golf Championships this past weekend, the Stanford women’s golf team struggled in the cold and windy conditions in Washington but rallied from a poor first round to finish in seventh place and earn an invite to the NCAA West Regional.

The Cardinal finished with a team total of 900 (+36) for the three-round tournament, 19 strokes behind conference champion Cal, which secured a one-shot victory over USC at the Palouse Ridge Golf Club in Pullman, Wash.

On a day when only one player in the entire field broke par, a poor first round left the Cardinal in eleventh place after shooting a team total of 320 (+32), but the team rallied with an even-par 288 in the second round and a final-round total of 292 (+4) to end up in seventh place.

Freshman Mariko Tumangan and junior Sally Watson paced the Cardinal, as both finished the tournament tied for 12th place with a score of 222 (+6). After a first-round 83, Watson torched the course over the next two rounds, playing the final 36 holes in 5-under-par. Tumangan and Watson’s finishes were strong enough to earn each player honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors.

Following the conclusion of the Pac-12 season, the Cardinal earned a berth in the NCAA West Regional, which will be held at Colorado National Golf Club in Erie, Colo., from May 10-12. Stanford will be one of 22 teams in the West Regional competing for eight spots in the NCAA championship on May 22-25 at the Vanderbilt Legends Club in Franklin, Tenn.

– Jack Blanchat

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.