W. Golf: Anne Walker named as new head coach

July 21, 2012, 12:54 p.m.

Anne Walker has been hired as the Margot and Mitch Milias Director of Women’s Golf, Stanford interim athletics director Patrick Dunkley officially announced on Friday.

Walker served as the head coach of the UC Davis golf team for the last four years, leading the Aggies to two Big West Conference titles as well as two NCAA tournament appearances.

When Walker first arrived at UC Davis, the Aggies golf program competed at the D-II level. She would play a major role in the successful turnaround that saw the Aggies move up to D-I and become ranked as high as 14th in the nation. For her efforts, she was named the Big West Coach of the Year three times.

A former Cal standout player herself, Walker has had plenty of experience translating talent into success. She is responsible for coaching three Big West Players of the Year as well as two players who competed in the 2009 U.S. Open.

During this past 2011-2012 season, the Cardinal notched a seventh-place at the Pac-12 Championships, tied for fifth at the NCAA West Regionals, and finished 24th at the NCAA Championships.

Walker will be replacing former head coach Caroline O’Connor, who guided the Cardinal to 15 NCAA tournaments over 17 seasons.

George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].