Football: Cardinal named national football team of the week, as Taylor and Gardner nab awards

Besides moving up to No. 9 in the AP Poll, Stanford football has racked up several awards since upsetting No. 2 USC 21-14 on Saturday evening.

The Cardinal (3-0, 1-0 Pac-12), was named the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl National Team of the Week for its effort, which put a huge damper on the Trojans’ once-high national title hopes. Stanford has now beaten USC (2-1, 0-1) for four straight seasons.

One Cardinal player who will graduate without ever having lost to the Trojans in the regular season is running back Stepfan Taylor, who was named the Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week for his 213 all-purpose yards on Saturday. Taylor’s 5.7 yards-per-carry was his best average since last year’s regular-season finale against Notre Dame (5.9).

Taylor was also named the Pac-12’s Offensive Player of the Week, and is joined in that regard by junior defensive end Ben Gardner, who earned the corresponding defensive award. Gardner sacked Barkley and now leads the Cardinal with five tackles for loss this season.

Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.