My dog is a better person than me

Opinion by Chris Herries

You could set your clock by Ginger’s nightly routine. The faithful golden retriever goes out every night at 10 o’clock sharp and takes five minutes to scan the border of our substantial property. She drives off any deer that linger near our apple trees or rabbits raiding the garden. She checks to make sure there are no trespassers and once amiably escorted a late-night jogger away from our driveway. Then, she comes in and follows as someone locks up the house for the night. If someone is staying up late to read or study, she sits at their feet until they’re safely seen to bed. Finally, with the house quiet, she’ll curl up and wait for morning. Ginger has been dutifully taking care of my family for 11 years now. She consoles us, greets us, warms us, forgives us, encourages us and, above all, loves us. When I was a child, my sister was hospitalized for depression. When my other sister began to cry, Ginger simply sat up next to her and nuzzled my sister’s neck as if to say, “I got you.” I am in debt to this dog’s compassion.

Now, I’m not just trying to make you envious of my epic pooch, I’m trying to emphasize a point about loyalty. We all value it. I’ve yet to meet a man who cherishes faithlessness in a friend. I still haven’t found a girl who’s fond of philanderers. Yet, defining what loyalty is, how it operates, why we value it and whether we practice it remains difficult. That’s where dogs come in. They seem to have a knack for a concept that eludes us. Using Ginger’s lessons, let me propose what loyalty should look like in a friendship; because we all need to wonder if we qualify as a loyal friend or not.

“First sac, then calc” was a famous line of the chess grandmaster Mikhail Tal. He meant that people should commit to a good idea and then find a way, any way to make it work. When a friend says his car broke down, offer help. Never mind that you don’t know exactly how to help; that can always be puzzled out. When a friend’s relative passes away show up at their doorstep and offer to help. Never mind that you’re not a therapist, just be a loyal friend. If your friend is in SIMPS, watch their shows because loyal friends support each other and, let’s face it, SIMPS is pretty darn awesome. Never mind that you have a problem set due the next day; taking an hour to show your dedication to someone is certainly worth losing sleep over. Essentially, I posit that a friend says “yes.” First be loyal, then be logistical.

One of my coaches uses the phrase “don’t be a victim.” According to him, victims show up everywhere with excuses and apologies. That’s not loyalty. If your friend is expecting you at seven, be there at seven. If you promised someone you’d help them make dinner, then help them make dinner. If you tell your girlfriend you love her, then love her. I think a big part of loyalty is keeping promises big and small. Make a promise, keep a promise.

Finally, I think being busy is a state of mind. It’s just prioritizing certain things, considering them more important than other things and sacrificing the less essential. Now classes, start-ups, jobs, homework, sports, clubs–these are all really important things.

They will never be as important as friendship.

Before you shoot, let me explain! None of those things are going to love you back. They’ll make you happy and satisfy a passion, but won’t replace the love and camaraderie that true friends share. Therefore, a loyal person makes time for friends, all other things aside. Friends are, in my opinion, one of the few things worth having in life.

Now, you can buy and sell my propositions, because if erring is human then I’m more human than most. But I beseech you–and this column will involve a lot of beseeching–to take time this week to do things with friends. Not just party with them, or study with them. Do something unique: Take a walk, climb a tree, play a sport, have a meaningful conversation. And the next time they call upon you for help, remember how important they are and stand up. Be loyal. Reciprocity has to start with someone. Why not you?

Chris Herries is a sophomore majoring in Latin. His interests include rugby, crossfit, weiqi, and public service. Please shoot him an email if you have an issues with his articles.