Not this year

Two weeks ago, Stanford’s football team was the underdog who came through with an upset win over then-No. 2 USC, sending the home crowd into a frenzy. On Thursday, it was the Washington Huskies’ fans who were rushing the field as Cardinal quarterback Josh Nunes couldn’t get the offense in gear and Washington’s offense found just enough cracks in No. 8 Stanford’s defense to eek out a 17-13 win in Seattle.

Stanford was outgained on the ground and through the air and managed just 217 yards of total offense. First-year starter Nunes — in the first road game of his career — looked nervous and missed several throws that hurt the Cardinal’s chances. His final stat line was equally unimpressive — 18-37 for 170 yards and an interception.

But the Cardinal still held a narrow 13-3 lead after outside linebacker Trent Murphy picked off a pass and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown with 2:51 remaining in the third quarter.

Washington struck right back, however, as a missed tackle opened up a hole and running back Bishop Sankey ran 61 yards straight through it for a touchdown. The dagger came with 4:51 remaining in the game, as Huskie quarterback Keith Price found Kasen Williams for a 35-yard strike and a 17-13 lead.

Stanford’s final chance ended at the Washington 34, as the Cardinal were forced to go for it on fourth down and Nunes’ desperation heave was picked off to seal the game with 1:46 to play.

Next up for Stanford is a matchup with Arizona on Saturday, Oct. 6.

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at [email protected]