Liveblog: No. 17 Stanford falls to No. 7 Notre Dame in overtime

We’ll be updating this page throughout today’s game between the Cardinal and the Fighting Irish with instant coverage and analysis. Please refresh this page for the most recent updates. All times are Pacific.

12:27 PM: Thanks for joining us everyone. Instead of the play-by-play coverage that we’ve done for the last two games, we’ll be providing more instant coverage and analysis this afternoon.

12:30 PM: The Irish come into the game as seven-point favorites. Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso and 66 percent of the country picked Notre Dame to win this game. Let’s see if the Cardinal can pull off the upset in South Bend today.

12:31 PM: Stanford hopes to win its first road of the season following its disappointing loss to Washington at CenturyLink Field two weeks ago. It won’t be easy though, with ESPN’s College GameDay crew attending the game and national television coverage on NBC.

12:35 PM: Rainy weather conditions today could play a role in today’s game. Both offenses will need to be extra careful of protecting the ball and avoiding turnovers.

12:39 PM: Stanford will get the ball first.

12:41 PM: The Cardinal’s first two plays are a Stepfan Taylor draw from the shotgun formation and an Anthony Wilkerson run out of the Wildcat. Predictable, but the offense gains seven yards for a manageable 3rd-and-7.

12:42PM: Zach Ertz drops a would-be first down catch from Josh Nunes. The Cardinal can’t have any more of these three-and-outs if it wants to upset the Irish today.

12:44 PM: Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson shows his ability to throw on the run as he rolls out of the pocket to convert the first down there.

12:45 PM: Well it didn’t take long for the Cardinal defense to make a big play. Usua Amanam recovers a fumbled snap to give Stanford great field position at the Notre Dame 47.

12:52 PM: Ertz makes up for his drop earlier by sliding down for a 14-yard reception. Cardinal’s second drive starting to show some promise.

12:54 PM: Stanford offensive line has done a pretty god job so far blocking Irish linebacker Manti Te’o and will need to continue to do so if it wants any type of running game.

12:57 PM: Rookie mistake by Josh Nunes on that interception. Can’t force that throw in there when your offense is in field goal range.

12:59 PM: Despite the interception, the Cardinal has to be happy with winning the field position battle early on here. Stanford will be starting its drive near midfield for the second possession in a row.

1:04 PM: Te’o and Ertz fighting for the ball after that catch. Keep an eye on this great matchup, between arguably the nation’s best linebacker and best tight end.

1:05 PM: Stanford defense holds again, as the Irish go three-and-out. Cardinal secondary not giving Golson much of a throwing window and the front seven has been containing him inside of the pocket relatively well.

1:06 PM: Two picks on the day for Nunes already. We haven’t even reached the end of the first quarter yet…

1:09 PM: It’s not that Nunes looks rattled or that the offensive line hasn’t been giving him enough time to throw. He just hasn’t been making good decisions on where to go with the ball. Simple as that.

1:17 PM: Critical knockdown by Jordan Richards to hold the Irish to a field goal. He’s really starting to come in his own as a consistent play-making safety over the last few games. Notre Dame puts up the first points on the scoreboard, leads Stanford 3-0 with 36 seconds left in the first quarter.

1:22 PM: Kevin Hogan was working out of the Wildcat on that play last before the quarter ended. Stanford trying to get any momentum it can on offense after those two devastating interceptions.

1:27 PM: Nunes’ stat line so far: 1-of-6 passing for 14 yards and two interceptions. More picks than completions – pretty much says it all.

1:28 PM: The speedy Kelsey Young wasn’t able to get outside on that run. Evidence showing that Notre Dame defenders are as fast as they are physical.

1:34 PM: Stanford forced to burn a timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty for the second time on the drive. The Cardinal didn’t get out of the huddle until there were 7 seconds left on the play clock.

1:35 PM: As stout as Notre Dame’s run defense has been all year, Taylor has been able to find small holes here and there for three and four-yard gains.

1:36 PM: Jordan Williamson couldn’t have shanked it more than he did on that 25-yard chip shot. The ball was partially blocked, but the ball had no air under it on that kick. Notre Dame maintains a 3-0 lead over Stanford.

1:37 PM: Halfway through the second quarter, Stanford’s defense and offensive line are the only two units that have been playing well.

1:45 PM: Nunes had the chance to pick up the first down on 2nd-and-5 with his feet, but he was too hesitant to take advantage of the running room. Quick, accurate decision-making is something that the redshirt junior quarterback has been struggling with so far.

1:50 PM: Golson fumbles the ball in the end zone during the sack and Stanford recovers for a TOUCHDOWN. Ben Gardner forced the fumble and Chase Thomas was there for the touchdown-scoring recovery. Jordan Williamson’s PAT is GOOD. Stanford takes a 7-3 lead.

1:51 PM: Great play by the defense. Based on how Stanford’s offense has been stalling so far, don’t be surprised if the Cardinal defense ends up out-scoring its counterpart today.

1:58 PM: Notre Dame driving now after allowing that costly fumble. Golson has been making the Cardinal pay on a couple huge runs.

2:02 PM: Snapped ball goes way past the holder as Notre Dame can’t get the field goal off. This is quickly turning into a sloppy game.

2:03 PM: Nunes looks ten times more comfortable in this hurry-up offense than he has in all the previous drives. Stanford fans can breathe a sign of relief as Williamson nails the 48-yard field goal. The Cardinal leads the Irish 10-3 as the first half comes to an end.

2:17 PM: Stanford out-gained Notre Dame 153-108 yards in the first half and both teams turned the ball over twice. With the defenses playing lights out, don’t expect either offense to open up in the second half.

2:21 PM: Both Nunes and Golson have been inefficient for the most part. That being said, Nunes found some rhythm on the Cardinal’s last drive while Golson scrambled effectively before Notre Dame’s botched field goal. The deciding factor for the game will be which quarterback can minimize the number of mistakes in the second half.

2:32 PM: Notre Dame opens up the second half with a three-and-out. The number of drops this afternoon starting to add up for both teams. Difficult to say whether it’s because of the rain or just poor concentration.

2:35 PM: This is becoming a poor man’s version of Alabama-LSU.

2:37 PM: Draw play has been working well for Stanford so far. Still, Nunes fails to convert a manageable third-and-six on the Cardinal’s first drive of the second half.

2:42 PM: This game is eerily similar to Stanford’s game against Washington: defense outscoring the offense, ineffective passing, dropped passes, stalled drives near midfield.

2:51 PM: Stanford defense uncharacteristically giving up some good-yardage runs right down the middle.

2:52 PM: Golson’s risky scrambling backfires in Stanford terriroty. Notre Dame offense was poised to get at least a field goal on that drive. Critical fumble recovery by the Cardinal.

2:57 PM: Te’o starting to blow up run plays in the backfield. He’s already got 10 tackles in the game. There’s a reason why he was the all-consensus pre-season All-American linebacker.

2:58 PM: Richards has been playing at an exceptional level today: breaking up passes on third down, making tackles in the backfield, stopping Golson in the open field.

3:05 PM: Notre Dame ties up the game as Golson throws a perfect strike to Tyler Eifert. Cardinal and Irish tied at ten apiece with 14:15 left in the fourth quarter.

3:06 PM: Chasing Golson around starting to take a toll on Stanford’s front seven. Cardinal secondary didn’t completely blow the coverage on that touchdown pass, but still left too big of a window. Also didn’t help that Stanford’s defensive backs are physically mismatched against Eifert.

3:15 PM: Nunes going to his favorite, dependable targets Toilolo and Ertz late in the game. Without Ty Montogmery, Nunes doesn’t have that much of a choice.

3:21 PM: …And Terrell. One of the few great throws that Nunes has made in this game.

3:22 PM: In typical fashion, Taylor gets the carry after a holding penalty moves the Cardinal back ten yards. Taylor has quietly amassed 85 yards on the day.

3:25 PM: 2nd-and-10 at the Notre Dame 10. Play-action here, maybe?

3:28 PM: Stanford can’t punch it in and will settle for a field goal. Williamson’s 28-yard attempt is GOOD. Cardinals leads Irish 13-10 with 6:12 left in the game.

3:29 PM: Most important thing on that drive was the the Cardinal defense got some time to catch its breath. It’ll probably need to stop the Irish offense two more times for Stanford to pull off the victory.

3:34 PM: Golson is on the sidelines right now after that. Tommy Rees into at quarterback for the Irish.

3:40 PM: Questionable defensive pass interference call gives Notre Dame the ball in the red zone.

3:43 PM: Notre Dame playing conservative here. 22-yard field goal in the pouring rain isn’t a gimme.

3:45 PM: But Kyle Brindza drives it through and there’s 20 seconds left in regulation.

3:48 PM: Shaw has a decision to make: Try to get into field position or play it safe by taking kneeling? I would at least try to get a first down here with a pass.

3:50 PM: …and Shaw decides to stay conservative.

3:51 PM: Stanford wins the toss and elects to defend first. The Cardinal made a huge stand last weekend against when Chase Thomas picked off Matt Scott in overtime. Can it do it again?

3:56 PM: Big sack by Trent Murphy.

3:57 PM: Notre Dame gets the 7. Stanford will need a touchdown to extend the game to double overtime.

3:59 PM: Screen pass to Taylor was way too predictable. 2nd-and-15 coming up for the Card.

4:02 PM: Taylor takes it right up the gut to convert a critical 3rd-and-2.

4:07 PM: Taylor’s run ruled short of the end zone on 4th-and-goal despite the replay showing that the ball was clearly over the goal line. Notre Dame defeats Stanford 20-13 in overtime.

Note: An earlier version of this liveblog incorrectly stated that Notre Dame defeated Stanford 17-10 in overtime. The actual score was Notre Dame 20, Stanford 13 in overtime.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].