Four acronyms to know

Opinion by Emily Cohodes

For week two of the Stanford student’s guide to resources on campus, I’ll be focusing on services that all too often go unnoticed and unused. (If you missed the first part of this list, check out last week’s column.) Tucked into various offices all across campus, these are four free, on-campus services that may come in handy during your time on the Farm. Read this list! If you think you’ll never need support after a sexual assault, pregnancy test or HIV testing, college might surprise you. And even if it doesn’t, you’ll know where to send a friend in need.

The Office of Sexual Assault and Relationship Abuse (SARA):

What it is: SARA is Stanford’s on-campus resource for students dealing with relationship abuse and the academic, residential and interpersonal difficulties that can result.

How to use it: Contact SARA at 650-725-9129 or [email protected]. Office appointments are available Monday-Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Helpful hints: If you suspect that someone you know may be the victim of relationship abuse, contact SARA for guidance about how to help that person get the support that they need. In addition to SARA, contact Stanford’s 24-hour confidential and anonymous Rape Crisis Counseling Line at 650-725-9955 for round the clock medical, emotional and legal support.

Student Health Peer Resource Center (SHPRC)

What it is: SHPRC is Stanford’s go-to on-campus sexual health resource that provides both walk-in and phone counseling by trained student counselors and a selection of items for sale that promote safe sex.

How to use it: Contact SHRPC by phone at 650-SAFE-SEX (723-3739) or stop by the office on the second floor of Vaden, Monday-Thursday, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. for counseling or advice on all things sexual, or to purchase condoms, pregnancy tests, lube and toys from their store. SHPRC also has an extensive library of books ranging from 50 Shades of Grey to The Guide to Getting It On that can be checked out for up to a week.

Helpful hints: Undergrads – be sure to stop by to pick up your 30 free condoms per quarter! The people who work at SHRPC are old pros with this stuff, (you’ll see them walking around campus wearing shirts that say “Let’s Talk About Sex”), so you coming in to pick up a few condoms really won’t be that awkward and you might even get to meet the Tree who has a regular shift on staff!

HIV*PACT (HIV Peer Anonymous Counseling and Testing)

What it is: HIV*PACT is a service run by iThrive (formerly Health Promotion Services) that offers free, anonymous and fast HIV testing; you’ll get your results by the end of the day. Tests are administered by students who are trained to provide information, emotional support and counseling.

How to use it: Make an appointment online at hiv.stanford.edu

Helpful hints: You should know that for some reason Vaden doesn’t permit your friend or partner to come into the exam room with you during your appointment, so while I recommend taking a good friend along if you need support, don’t be surprised by this policy. HIV*PACT offers both needle and saliva tests for maximum comfort – both options are extremely accurate. If you think you may have come in contact with HIV, do not wait to get tested and contact HIV*PACT immediately as there are some treatments that can prevent infection if taken within 72 hours of exposure.

LGBT Community Resources Center

What it is: The LGBT-CRC offers support to students on a wide range of issues surrounding gender identity and sexual orientation. The center offers counseling as well as referrals to appropriate community resources and runs a program for LGBT and questioning freshmen at Stanford called Community Academic Support and Advising (CASA) to support first-year students as they transition to life at Stanford and navigate campus stereotypes, personal relationships, dorms and family relations.

How to use it: The LGBT Community Resource Center is located at the Fire Truck House at 433 Santa Teresa St. Stop by to find out about more events and programs or call 650-725-4222. Find out more at lgbt.stanford.edu

Helpful hints: The LGBT-CRC is just one of many on-campus resources for LGBT and questioning students and their allies. Other student groups and services include the Queer Straight Alliance and Stanford Pride.

Emily would love to hear from you anytime at [email protected].

Emily Cohodes is a senior majoring in Psychology. She has been a peer counselor at the Bridge for the past three years and now serves as the course coordinator for the training courses. A lover of all animals, Emily has been a vegetarian since age 3 and is very interested in food production and sustainable food systems. In her free time, she can be found riding horses, cooking meatless delicacies, reminiscing about her time abroad in Italy, and hiking. She is always looking for ways to improve campus mental health culture and would love your feedback.