SPORTS BRIEF: Wopat earns Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week honors

Cardinal middle blocker Carly Wopat was named the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week, officially announced yesterday by Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott.

The junior led No. 2 Stanford (18-2, 10-0 Pac-12) to victories against No. 5 Washington and Washington State on the road by averaging 3.75 points, 3.1 kills and 0.90 blocks per set, in addition to hitting 0.422.

Against the Huskies, Wopat racked up 15 kills on 34 tries, committing only two errors in the process to give her a 0.382 attack percentage. She fared just as well against the Cougars, recording a team-high 16 kills and finishing with a 0.46 hitting percentage.

This is the third time that Wopat has earned the award in her career.

Midway through conference play, the Cardinal will square off against Arizona tomorrow and Arizona State on Friday. Both games will be played at Maples Pavilion.

George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].