Michael Bloomberg named 2013 Commencement speaker

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg will be the 2013 Commencement speaker, the senior class presidents announced Sunday evening.

(Takaaki Iwabu/Raleigh News & Observer/MCT)

This year’s Commencement weekend will also feature a Class Day lecture by Mehran Sahami ’92 M.S. ’93 Ph.D. ’99, associate professor of computer science, and a baccalaureate address by Valarie Kaur ‘03, a filmmaker and civil rights advocate. Kaur spoke as a senior at her own baccalaureate celebration.

Bloomberg, who has served as New York’s mayor since 2001, is the founder of technology company Bloomberg LP and, according to Forbes, is the 10th richest person in the United States. During his time in office, Bloomberg has played an influential role in national politics on issues like gun control and has been the subject of extensive speculation regarding potential gubernatorial and presidential campaigns. He also supervised New York’s competition for an applied sciences and engineering campus, for which Stanford initially bid before withdrawing.

“We are incredibly excited about the speakers,” the senior class presidents wrote in an email to the Class of 2013. “These people have served as role models and mentors, directly or indirectly, to many of us during our years at Stanford.”

The 122nd Commencement weekend is set for June 14-16.

Marshall Watkins is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily, having previously worked as the paper's executive editor and as the managing editor of news. Marshall is a junior from London majoring in Economics, and can be reached at mtwatkins "at" stanford "dot" edu.