Duke professor to lead journalism program

James Hamilton, director of Duke University’s DeWitt Wallace Center for Media and Democracy, will join Stanford in the fall as director of the Graduate Program in Journalism. Hamilton, who will also serve as a professor of communication, will replace Ann Grimes in the post.

“Professor Hamilton is a recognized authority on the economics and history of journalism and a leader in the new field of ‘computational journalism,’ which explores how technology can be employed to facilitate accountability,” wrote James Fishkin, chair of the Communication Department, in an announcement to department faculty.

Grimes – who has directed the program for the past seven years –will remain actively involved in the program next year, continuing her work as a professor of the practice. Fishkin cited Grimes as expressing enthusiasm for Hamilton’s appointment and welcoming the opportunity for collaboration.

“I have known Jay Hamilton for several years,” Fishkin quoted Grimes as saying. “I am delighted that he will be joining us, given that his interests are so clearly aligned with the direction in which we have taken the program. I look forward to working closely with him.”

Fishkin also related similar enthusiasm on Hamilton’s part.

“I am extremely honored and excited to join a journalism program widely noted for its emphasis on technological innovation and digital entrepreneurship,” Fishkin quoted Hamilton as saying. “I look forward to joining colleagues already deeply immersed in these issues.”