Four Stanford baseball players earn Pac-12 all conference honors

Three days after failing to earn an NCAA Tournament bid, Stanford baseball received some consolation when four players earned Pac-12 all-conference honors on Wednesday night.

Senior ace Mark Appel, senior first baseman Brian Ragira and senior designated hitter Justin Ringo were named to the Pac-12 all-conference team while junior second baseman Danny Diekroeger was awarded an honorable mention.

(AVI BAGLA/The Stanford Daily)
Senior first baseman led the team in batting average and ranked second in the Pac-12 in hits. (AVI BAGLA/The Stanford Daily)

Appel, who broke the career-strikeout school record last Friday in his last game in a Cardinal uniform, maintained a 2.48 ERA and struck out 10 or more batters in four of his fourteen starts. On Tuesday, the senior was also named one of 30 semifinalists for the Golden Spikes Award, which is given annually to the country’s top college baseball player.

Ragira and Ringo provided Stanford with much of the offensive firepower this season. Ragira led the team with a .344 batting average and ranked second in the conference with 44 hits. Hitting from the leadoff spot, Ringo ended the season with a .325 batting average and seven stolen bases.

In addition to his sure-handed fielding at second base, Diekroeger capped an impressive junior campaign with 13 multi-hit games and a .405 slugging percentage.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].