Three Cardinal men’s water polo players to compete for USA Senior National Team

Sophomore Alex Bowen (above) is one of three current and former Cardinal water polo players that will compete at the FINA World League Super Final this June. (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily)

USA Water Polo announced this week that three players will represent Stanford at the FINA World League Super Final this June. Alumnus Janson Wigo ‘10 will be joined by two current Cardinal standouts, sophomore Alex Bowen and freshman Bret Bonanni. Brown and Bonanni are two of only three players chosen from the collegiate level to make the cut.

This June will be the pair’s third appearance with the USA Senior National Team. They made their USA Senior National Team debuts in February at the UANA World Aquatic Championship Qualification Tournament, elevating the USA to a silver-medal finish and a spot at the world championships with five and four goals, respectively. This past weekend Bowen competed with the team in the FINA World League Prelims, in which USA took first place, while Bonanni competed with USA 2 and the Junior National Team.

During his time on the Farm, Wigo scored 166 goals and won ACWPC All-America honors during all four years.

Bowen and Bonanni were two of four Stanford men to be named 2012 ACWPC All-Americans. Bowen scored 64 goals on the season to finish second-best on the team in scoring. Bonanni, in his inaugural season with the Cardinal, led the team in scoring with 73 goals.

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.