Women’s basketball asst. head coach leaves the Farm to assist at Old Dominion

Stanford women’s basketball assistant head coach Trina Patterson will be returning to her home state of Virginia for the 2013-14 season as assistant coach for Old Dominion. Patterson spent the past two seasons on the Farm, working with the Cardinal front court and helping with recruitment, during which the Cardinal went 68-5, reached the Final Four in 2012 and claimed the Pac-12 regular season and tournament titles both seasons. She helped develop Stanford’s standout posts such as Nnemkadi Ogwumike ’12, Chiney Ogwumike ‘14, and Joslyn Tinkle ’13.

(DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)
Trina Patterson (above), who spent two years as assistant coach for Stanford women’s basketball  (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)

“I would like to thank Tara VanDerveer for the opportunity to work with her, her staff and this amazing program at Stanford,” Patterson told GoStanford. “It has been an incredible past two years filled with many great memories of working with a top-notch staff as well as a top-notch group of student-athletes. It is such a unique experience at Stanford being surrounded by the excellence of the university and the athletic department. I am looking forward to the opportunity to go back home and work with an Old Dominion program that owns such a rich women’s basketball tradition.”

Before coaching at Stanford Patterson served as head coach at Albany, The College of William and Mary and Maryland Eastern Shore. During her four year playing career at the University of Virginia her team made it to the NCAA Tournament every year, capturing three Atlantic Coast Conference titles. Patterson also led the Cavaliers to the Sweet Sixteen as captain her senior year after a posting a 26-5 record.

“Trina has done a fabulous job for us here at Stanford. I hate to see her leave, but I am one-hundred percent supportive of her pursuing this great opportunity at Old Dominion and having the chance to return home to Virginia. This is a slam-dunk hire for Old Dominion,” Stanford head coach Tara VanDerveer told GoStanford.

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.