Obama nominates Stanford grad for U.S. District Court

Federal prosecutor Manish Shah ’94 was, alongside seven others, recently nominated by President Barack Obama for a position as a U.S. District Court judge.

Obama’s nomination of Shah received bipartisan support that could translate into an easy confirmation of Shah’s post, as reported by Palo Alto Patch.

Both Republican Senator Mark Kirk and Democrat Dick Durbin from Shah’s residential state of Illinois support his nomination.

“Manish Shah’s stellar record in working with former U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald makes him an outstanding candidate to be the next federal district court judge for Northern Illinois,” Kirk said in a The Times of India article.

“I firmly support his nomination…by President Obama and look forward to working Senator Kirk to see his nomination considered in the Senate Judiciary Committee and swiftly confirmed by the full Senate,” Durbin echoed in the same article.

Shah has been an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Northern District of Illinois since 2001. He is also currently the Chief of the Criminal Division and has previously served as Chief of Criminal Appeals from 2011 to 2012.

Shah was also Deputy Chief of the Financial Crimes and Special Prosecutions Section from 2008 to 2011 and served as Deputy Chief of the General Crimes Section between 2007 and 2008.