Keiser activated by Chargers, Marecic released by 49ers

One former Cardinal football player moved onto an NFL roster while another was waived from a roster on Tuesday as the San Diego Chargers signed defensive end/linebacker Thomas Keiser off of their practice squad and the San Francisco 49ers waived fullback Owen Marecic.

Keiser, who played linebacker and defensive end for the Cardinal between 2007 and 2010 before declaring for the 2011 NFL Draft, will take the place of former All-American Dwight Freeney on the Chargers’ roster.

Marecic was waived by the 49ers after just two weeks with the team—weeks in which he did not see the field after being signed by the front office of his former head coach Jim Harbaugh. During his time with the Cardinal, Marecic played on both sides of the ball as both a linebacker and a fullback and even finished in 10th place in Heisman Trophy voting as a senior in 2010 before declaring for the 2011 NFL Draft.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.