Stanford football live blog: No. 5 Stanford 31, No. 15 Washington 28

Welcome to The Daily’s live blog of tonight’s football game between No. 5 Stanford and No. 15 Washington at Stanford Stadium. We’ll be updating this page with instant coverage and analysis. Please refresh this page for the most recent updates, and follow us on twitter @StanfordSports for updates. All times are Pacific.

(David Bernal/isiphotos.com)
Running back Tyler Gaffney has emerged as Stanford’s top running back this season and is looking for his third 100-yard game of the season tonight against a stout Huskies defense. (David Bernal/isiphotos.com)

10:52 PM: Two straight kneels by Hogan, and that’ll do it. Stanford escapes with a 31-28 victory. Thrilling end, to say the least. The Cardinal improves to 5-0 on the season and remains undefeated in Pac-12 play.

10:50 PM: UPON FURTHER REVIEW, THE BALL HIT THE GROUND. THE PLAY IS OVERTURNED. TURNOVER ON DOWNS. CARDINAL BALL.

10:49 PM: Unblievable. Price gets out of trouble twice and fires it to Smith on the sidelines for a first down. Play is being reviewed though. Looked like the ball might have hit the ground.

10:46 PM: Price’s pass down the middle is incomplete. Fourth-and-10. This is the game right here.

10:45 PM: Stanford brings pressure, and Price throws it away. Third-and-10.

10:43 PM: Williams makes a leaping catch to drive the Huskies all the way down to the Cardinal 49-yard line. Shaw challenges the play, but the completion stands.

10:42 PM: Washington will get the ball back at its own 33-yard line.

10:41 PM: Hogan runs the naked bootleg. It worked last time against Arizona State, but Hogan bounced to the outside and couldn’t get it. Holding penalty called on Stanford anyways.

10:40 PM: Gaffney powers ahead for five yards. Third-and-1. Washington uses its second timeout. This could be the game right here.

10:39 PM: Montgomery picks up four yards on the end around. Wasn’t a first down, but give Shaw credit for being more creative with the running game.

10:38 PM: Washington has all three timeouts left, so Stanford needs to pick up at least one first down if it wants to run out the clock.

10:36 PM: Price finds Jaydon Mickens for a 1-yard touchdown. The PAT is GOOD and Stanford leads by just 3 with 2:38 left in the game.

10:35 PM: Two big pass plays give Washington the ball at the Cardinal 1-yard line.

10:34 PM: Price dishes the ball out to Seferian-Jenkins in the middle of the field for a first down. Really tough to cover a 6-foot-6, 276-pound tight end.

10:32 PM: Excellent punt coverage by Stanford. True freshman Francisc Owusu made the tackle.

10:32 PM: Kelsey Young takes the carry to the outside, but can’t get free. Stanford punts away the ball with just over 4 minutes left in the game.

10:31 PM: As expected, the Cardinal rushes the ball two straight times to bring up a third-and-5.

10:29 PM: The interception was critical, but just as important, Washington ate up 5:37 off the clock on that drive. Six minutes left in the game now.

10:27 PM: Murphy tips Price’s pass on first-and-goal, and although he doesn’t come down with it, linebacker AJ Tarpley is there to make the interception. The streak, now at 29, remains intact. That’s the big play on defense that Stanford has been looking for all night.

10:25 PM: Price scrambles ahead 6 yards to bring up second-and-4. Huskies at the Cardinal 12-yard line. Can Stanford hold Washington to a field goal right here? Biggest play of the game so far.

10:24 PM: Skov jogs back to the sideline with a slight limp. Huskies fans are booing, thinking that the Cardinal defense is purposely trying to slow down Washington’s up-tempo offense.

10:23 PM: Price picks up the first down with the scramble. Skov is down on the ground now.

10:21 PM: Sankey picks up just enough to get the first down. Gardner comes back into the game.

10:19 PM: Ben Gardner was on the ground for a minute, but he’s walking off to the sidelines now, albeit a little gingerly. Big third-and-3 coming up.

10:16 PM: Smith makes a circus catch to keep Washington’s drive alive on third-and-long. Huskies out to its own 46-yard line now.

10:13 PM: Washington gets the ball back at its own 20-yard line. No turnovers committed by the Huskies so far tonight. Stanford’s streak of 28 straight games of forcing at least one turnover is in jeopardy.

10:11 PM: Cardinal can’t pick up a first down, and Rhyne will come out to punt.

10:08 PM: With less than 14 minutes left in the game, a touchdown would give Stanford a lot more breathing room. Stanford has been on the verge of jumping out to a three-possession game a couple times tonight, but was unable to deliver.

10:07 PM: Vaughters makes up for his earlier roughing-the-passer penalty as he and Skov sandwiched Price for an 8-yard sack. No fake punt this time, and Stanford gets the ball back at its own 25-yard line.

10:06 PM: Holding and incomplete pass brings up third-and-20.

10:01 PM: Washington is out to the Cardinal 49-yard line. The third quarter has come to an end.

9:58 PM: It was very important for the Cardinal offense to answer on that drive. Last year, it was Sankey’s long touchdown run at the end of the third quarter that galvanized the Huskies comeback. Stanford did a good job of halting Washington’s momentum with the touchdown, but it’ll need to make a few more defensive stops.

9:57 PM: Stanford doesn’t waste Montgomery’s monster kickoff return. Gaffney bounces to the outside and drags a defender in the end zone for an 11-yard touchdown. Williamson’s PAT is GOOD, and Stanford leads 31-21 with 44 seconds left in the third quarter.

9:56 PM: Back-to-back carries by Gaffney bring up a third-and-2 at the Washington 11-yard line. Stanford in the jumbo package now.

9:55 PM: Montgomery has been a beast tonight. Washington even tried to kick away from him, but he came up to field the ball and make an unbelievable return. 277 all-purpose yards for Montgomery.

9:54 PM: Montgomery is playing out of his mind right now. A 71-yard kickoff return by the junior gives Stanford the ball at its own 19-yard line.

9:53 PM: Sankey somehow stays on his feet after getting hit and scampers into the end zone for a 15-yard touchdown. The PAT is GOOD, and Stanford leads 24-20 with 2:26 left in the third quarter.

9:49 PM: A costly roughing-the-passer penalty on third-and-16 called on Vaughters give the Huskies a fresh set of downs.

9:48 PM: Huskies run a fake punt, and pick up the first down. Wow. Gutsy call by coach Sarkisian, but it pays off big.

9:48 PM: Price gets out of trouble, but Amanam makes a sound tackle to force a punt.

9:47 PM: Two incompletions by Price bring up third-and-10. Washington has been 1-of-6 on third downs tonight.

9:46 PM: Huskies offensive will take over at its own 36-yard line.

9:43 PM: Hogan gets sacked on third-and-9. Not sure why Montgomery wasn’t on the field for that play. It looks like a few trainers are around him on the sidelines.

9:40 PM: Price’s pass on third-and-4 intended for Sankey is too high. Big three-and-out forced by the Cardinal’s defense. Stanford has a great chance to open the game up with a touchdown on this upcoming possession.

9:39 PM: Nice open-field tackle by Vaughters to hold Price’s completion to a three-yard gain.

9:36 PM: The element that was missing from last season’s game between these two teams: Hogan finds the end zone on a quarterback keeper. The left side of the offensive line just bulldozed a clear path for the quarterback. Stanford leads Washington 24-14 with 9:14 left in the third quarter.

9:35 PM: Hogan overthrows Kaumatule in the end zone. A defender was draped all over Kaumatule, so Hogan didn’t have much room to work with.

9:34: Gaffney now getting involved in the passing game. A nice short pass from Hogan turns into a 12-yard gain. Stanford has a first-and-goal at the Huskies 4-yard line.

9:44 PM: Gaffney picks up the first down and then some. Gain of 4. Stanford threatening at the Huskies 16-yard line.

9:33 PM: Stanford’s offensive line finally starting to get a consistent push. Third-and-1 coming up. Stanford comes out in the jumbo package.

9:30 PM: Gaffney picks up the first down after a gain of six. One of the few times that Stanford has run to the right side tonight.

9:30 PM: Hogan goes right back to Montgomery, who muscles way for 11 yards. That’s been almost automatic tonight.

9:29 PM: Gaffney’s run goes nowhere, but a hands-to-the-face penalty called on the Huskies give Stanford 15 yards and an automatic first down.

9:28 PM: Montgomery breaks a few tackles on the kickoff return. No touchdown this time, but still a good return to the Cardinal’s own 33-yard line.

9:26 PM: Washington’s offense caught Stanford sleeping on that drive. Secondary was backpedaling the whole way, and the front seven couldn’t get any pressure on Price. The key for the Cardinal defense tonight is getting in Price’s face, and the unit failed to do that.

9:25 PM: The Huskies offense picks up right where it left off at the end of the first half. Price finds an open Smith for a 29-yard touchdown. The PAT is good, and Stanford now leads 17-14 with 14:01 left in the third quarter.

9:24 PM: Washington fakes the pass and Sankey bounces to his left for 29 yards. Great play calling right there. Stanford’s defense had its dime package in, and the Huskies capitalized with a run to the outside.

9:19 PM: Outside linebacker James Vaughters is shaken up on the second play of the the quarter, but appears to be okay as he walks off the field.

9:18 PM: The Huskies offense operated at warp speed on its touchdown drive. Let’s see if Washington will continue that up-tempo style in the third quarter.

9:17 PM: Believe it or not, one of the biggest difference-makers tonight has been penalties. The Huskies have been undisciplined at times, committing eight penalties — a few of which came at third downs — that cost them a total of 64 yards.

9:14 PM: Other than giving up a score towards the end of the half, the Cardinal defense has been dominant as usual. Yes, Sankey collected a hard-earned 49 yards on the ground, but the front seven has been swarming to him. Price has been efficient, completing 13-of-16 passes for 129 yards, but the secondary hasn’t given up any big pass plays yet. We’ll see how the unit holds up in the second half.

9:00 PM: The touchdown should also give Hogan more confidence after what was otherwise a rough first half for the junior. And that was the first time in six quarters that Stanford has scored a touchdown against Wilcox’s Huskies defense. Big breakthrough heading into halftime.

8:59 PM: Stanford needed that Montgomery touchdown. Washington was starting to gain momentum after its offense was shut down for almost all of the first half, but Stanford regained control with the 39-yard strike.

8:58 PM: Price will take a knee, and that’s the end of the first half. Stanford leads Washington 17-7.

8:56 PM: The Cardinal won’t need to settle for a field goal. Hogan finds Montgomery deep down the sideline for a 39-yard touchdown. Williamson boots the PAT through, and the Cardinal now leads the Huskies 17-7 with 11 seconds left in the second quarter.

8:55 PM: Pass to Cajuste is high and complete. Second-and-10.

8:54 PM: Nice run by Gaffney gets the Cardinal out to the Huskies 39-yard line. Not quite in Williamson’s comfortable range yet, but 10 more yards would certainly do it.

8:52 PM: A short kickoff gives Stanford the ball at its own 39-yard line. 1:03 left to do. Will Shaw go on the attack or choose to run out the first half?

8:50 PM: Sankey weaves his way into the end zone. He was hit at the 5-yard line, but regained balance and powered his way for a touchdown. The extra point is GOOD, and Stanford’s lead has been cut to 10-7 with 1:03 left in the first half.

8:49 PM: Price finds Seferian-Jenkins down the middle for a big gain. Washington knocking on the doors steps with a first-and-goal at the Cardinal 7-yard line.

8:46 PM: Huskies driving now with a flurry of passes and quick passes.

8:43 PM: Hogan’s 7-yard screen pass to Wilkerson isn’t enough to overcome the delay of game penalty on second down. Ben Rhyne punts and pins Washington at its own 12-yard line.

8:40 PM: Hogan finds Montgomery on a quick screen for a 6-yard gain. Wilkerson follows up with a solid run to pick up the first down. That was one of the few times that Stanford’s offensive line has managed to get a good push against the Huskies defense.

8:38 PM: For the first time this season, Hogan doesn’t look comfortable in the pocket. He’s staring down his receivers and the Washington corners have been able to get good breaks on routes. Can he settle into a rhythm during this last half of the second quarter?

8:36 PM: Price rolls out to his right to extend the play, but has nowhere to go and just throws it out of bounds. Another penalty called on the Huskies during the punt give Stanford the ball at its own 48-yard line.

8:35 PM: Washington’s offense playing sloppily. Two false starts over the course of three plays. Third-and-7 coming up.

8:32 PM: Usua Amanam gets blindsided on the punt return. He’s got off the field on his own, though, so that’s a good sign. Our football editor Joseph Beyda, who is sitting in the stands, says they’re checking Amanam’s right shoulder on the sidelines.

8:30 PM: Huskies bring pressure, and Hogan gets sacked. No targets open downfield, and Stanford is forced to punt again. This Huskies secondary has been lights out in coverage so far.

8:29 PM: Two Washington defenders were in the backfield before Hogan even handed the ball off to Wilkerson, who did a good job of making something out of nothing to gain 2 yards.

8:28 PM: Stanford converts its first third down of the night after four attempts. A 6-yard reception by Whitfield did the trick.

8:27 PM: Anthony Wilkerson gets out to the edge for a 5-yard gain. Third-and-5 coming up. The Cardinal has been 0-for-3 so far on third down conversions. Very uncharacteristic of this Hogan-led offense.

8:25 PM: Hogan tries to explore the middle of the field, but can’t connect with Luke Kaumatule. The receivers just have not been open tonight.

8:23 PM: Price delivers a well-thrown ball on third-and-2, but wide receiver Kevin Smith can’t hang on. Huskies forced to punt the ball away for the fourth time tonight. Stanford’s defense is not bending at all tonight.  The Cardinal gets the ball back at its own 14-yard line.

8:21 PM: Skov obliterates Sankey at the line of scrimmage. Textbook clean hit.

8:20 PM: Impressive speed displayed by defensive end Josh Mauro as he tries to chase Price out of bounds. Still, Price manages to pick up the first down with a 5-yard gain.

8:18 PM: Hogan was only 3-of-6 passing for 12 yards in the first quarter, but he did have a few big runs, carrying the ball three times for 21 yards. Montgomery’s 26-yard end around has accounted for over a third of Stanford’s running production so far.

8:17 PM: Williamson’s kick splits the uprights, and Stanford leads 10-0 with 14:51 left in the first quarter.

8:16 PM: Hogan’s pass is incomplete. Williamson will come on for a 33-yard field goal attempt.

8:15 PM: The Cardinal offense didn’t see much success against the Huskies that first quarter until it started running the read option towards the end. Expect Shaw to dial that up more often as the game progresses.

8:12 PM: Hogan has really been finding Cajuste in the short passing game, but that one is only good for a 3-yard pickup. Stanford is content to run the first quarter out. Third-and-5 at the Washington 16-yard line when we come back. Stanford 7, Washington 0 at the end of the first.

8:12 PM: The Cardinal is on the attack now. Quarterback Dallas Lloyd comes in to run a read-option play, and hands off to Ricky Seale for another 17 yards.

8:10 PM: Stanford runs its first read-option play of the night, and Hogan picks up 17 yards and the first down. Shaw was furious at the officials for not calling a late hit penalty on the Huskies.

8:07 PM: Once again, Stanford will have great field position at its own 42-yard line. The Cardinal has yet to capitalize, though, and the Huskies have not given any ground in the running game.

8:05 PM: A holding penalty, a chop block and illegal touching called on the Huskies offense. Cardinal defense didn’t have to do much there as Washington self-destructed in a three-and-out.

8:04 PM: Hogan’s pass sails high on Whitfield. Turnover on downs.

8:02 PM: Even though Stanford has the ball within Williamson’s field goal range, Shaw elects to go for it on fourth-and-4. Interesting decision. Hopefully it’s not because Williamson is injured.

8:01 PM: And they do again. With nowhere to go, Hogan scrambles for no gain.

8:00 PM: Cajuste makes his first catch of the night for a 4-yard gain. Important third-and-4 coming up. Huskies defense has held up so far.

7:58 PM: The crowd cheers as Barry J. Sanders makes his first appearance at punt returner, and Sanders awards the fans with a 39-yard return. Give credit to the Cardinal special team blockers on that play. Sanders had big crease down the middle of the field to work with. Stanford will set up shop at the Washington 36-yard line.

7:56 PM: Murphy explodes into the backfield and sacks Price for a loss of 8. Over the last three games, he’s shown that he’s unblockable in one-on-one matchups.

7:56 PM: Third-and-7 coming up.

7:54 PM: Trent Murphy drags Sankey down from behind for a 4-yard gain.

7:52 PM: Hogan tried to go back to Rector again on a cross route, but this time, he gets picked off. Not a good decision by Hogan to throw into a tight window there. The Huskies get the ball back at their own 18-yard line.

7:51 PM: Hogan takes a shot at the end zone, but into double coverage. Incomplete. The pass was intended for Rector. Cajuste was wide open underneath; Hogan didn’t see him.

7:50 PM: Stanford had run the ball twice tonight, and both carries went nowhere. The Huskies forcing Stanford to beat them over the top.

7:49 PM: A personal foul penalty on the Huskies gives the Cardinal a fresh set of downs at the Huskies 36-yard line.

7:48 PM: Hogan throws it a little high, but Kodi Whitfield comes down with the ball for a 5-yard gain. Third-and-4 coming up.

7:47 PM: Stanford’s philosophy: Give the ball to Montgomery until Washington stop him. Hogan hands the ball off to Montgomery on an end round for the Cardinal’s first offensive first play of the game, after the speedy receiver took the opening kickoff for a touchdown.

7:45 PM: We saw a glimpse of Price’s efficiency on that last drive. He’s the second most efficient passer in the Pac-12, behind only…Kevin Hogan. Hogan ready to take his first snap of the night at his own 15-yard line.

7:44 PM: Washington chooses to go for it on fourth-and-1 at the Cardinal 35-yard line, but a holding penalty brings Sankey’s run back and the Huskies are forced to punt.

7:40 PM: The Huskies are moving efficiently down the field on their first drive of the game, helped by a big gain by preseason All-American tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

7:38 PM: The last time Stanford returned a kickoff for a touchdown? Montgomery against Washington State in 2011. And the last Cardinal player returned an opening kickoff for a touchdown was Chris Owusu in 2009.

7:36 PM: WOW. On the opening kickoff, Montgomery takes the ball for a 99-yard touchdown return. What an impressive display of speed. Jordan Williamson’s extra point attempt is GOOD, and Stanford leads Washington 7-0 just 12 seconds into the game.

7:35 PM: Stanford will get the ball to start the game.

7:32 PM: The Cardinal players have rushed out onto the field. The Huskies follow suit to a chorus of boos. The Huskies are wearing shiny silver helmets that are almost obnoxiously shiny and, as our sports editor Do-Hyoung Park puts it, look like Christmas ornaments.

7:30 PM: And of course, you can’t forget about the dynamic 1-2 punch of quarterback Keith Price and running back Bishop Sankey. Price did not play up to the high expectations in 2012 after a sensational 2011 campaign, but with a healthy offensive line in front of him now, he certainly seems to be the real deal. Ever the workhorse, Sankey has also been one of the more underrated halfbacks in the country. Against Arizona last Saturday, Sankey broke a school record by carrying the ball 40 times.

7:25 PM: Washington has also looked like a tough, dominant team so far this season. Under defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox, the Huskies defense has vastly improved over what it was two years ago. The Huskies are currently ranked in the top ten in both scoring defense  (10.8 points per game) and pass defense (156.8 points per game).

7:20 PM: But that loss was 372 days ago. Commanded by its undefeated quarterback Kevin Hogan (9-0), the Cardinal has re-discovered its downfield passing attack with a group of speedy and physical wide receivers, including Ty Montgomery, Devon Cajuste and Michael Rector. As Washington State learned last weekend, head coach David Shaw is not at all afraid to unleash the deep ball on opposing defenses should they load the box to stop the run.

7:15 PM: While Stanford has avoided using the word “revenge” all week, Cardinal fans remember all too well last year’s disappointing 17-13 loss to Washington at CenturyLink Field. If you recall, the Cardinal offense, hampered by then-quarterback Josh Nunes’ inefficiency, failed to score an offensive touchdown. Stanford’s defense played well for the most part, holding the Huskies to three points through three quarters and even scoring a touchdown thanks to Trent Murphy’s pick-six, but running back Bishop Sankey’s 61-yard touchdown run on fourth-and-1 at the end of third quarter completely shifted the momentum to Washington’s favor. Still, Stanford had a chance to win the game late in the fourth quarter, but an untimely drop by Ty Montgomery on what would’ve been the go-ahead touchdown sealed the upset on that Thursday night in Seattle.

7:10 PM: The Stanford players are donning black uniforms tonight. For the record, the Cardinal is 4-0 when wearing black.

6:45 PM: Good evening everyone, and thank you for you joining us. It’s perfect weather for prime time football here in Palo Alto tonight. We’re less than an hour away from kickoff as No. 5 Stanford hopes to win its third consecutive Pac-12 contest as the team nears the middle stretch of the season. It won’t be easy, though, because No. 15 Washington has been playing some great football so far this year.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].