Stanford to host 2014 NCAA women’s basketball tournament regionals

(BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)
Maples Pavilion will host the NCAA women’s basketball tournament regionals this season for the first time since 2003. The arena, which seats 7,233, is expected to draw a big crowd to the regional games. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

For the first time in nearly a decade the NCAA has agreed to allow schools to host the NCAA tournament regionals, with the intention being to noticeably increase game attendance.

The four schools chosen to host are Stanford, Notre Dame, Louisville and Nebraska. In the past Stanford has typically hosted the first round of the tournament. All four schools have experienced incredible success playing at home and tend to draw large crowds. Since the 2007-08 season, the Cardinal is 92-2 at Maples Pavilion.

Maples Pavilion, with a 7,233-seat capacity has hosted the NCAA Regional four times previously—the last time being in 2003. This is also the 18th year that Stanford has hosted NCAA Tournament games since 1989. The Cardinal averaged 4,284 fans per home game during the 2012-13 season.

The NCAA Regionals will take place March 29 through April 1, with specific dates and times for each game yet to be determined.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.