From the Battlefield to the Cinema: Top Five Military Films

Military movies can be some of the best movies, as they can make their audiences gasp, cheer, cling to their seats and sometimes even change their worldview. Here’s a rundown of five of the best of ‘em:

5) “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World”: Set during the Napoleonic Wars between France and Great Britain, this boisterous adventure follows the efforts of a British warship to find and destroy its French enemy. Although outgunned, the plucky British crew refuses to concede defeat as it takes on a wily French privateer. Featuring realistic action and scenes shot in the majestic Galapagos Islands, this is a must see for any fan of high-seas adventure and deception. Russell Crowe stars as the intrepid Captain “Lucky Jack” Aubrey, and Peter Weir directed the film, which was nominated for 10 Academy Awards.

4) “The Longest Day”: The archetypal military epic about the Second World War, this film recounts the D-Day invasion of France in astounding detail. Featuring a dazzling array of stars such as John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Sean Connery, Rod Steiger and Robert Mitchum, this film used a variety of important real D-day participants to help stay true to actual events.

3) “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb”: An insane American general (General Jack D. Ripper) orders a nuclear first strike on the Soviet Union in this stirring military satire. As forces from both nations scramble to avert nuclear mutually assured destruction, this movie challenges its audience’s opinions about nuclear weapons. This film appeals to a wide variety of tastes and features both comic and tragic elements. The film stars Peter Sellers and was directed by Stanley Kubrick.

2) “The Hunt for Red October”: Soviet nuclear submarine Captain Marko Ramius (Sean Connery) leads both Soviet and American forces on a wild chase in this searing thriller based on a Tom Clancy novel. CIA agent Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin) has to figure out if Captain Ramius is trying to defect to the United States — or if he is trying to launch a nuclear war. Plot twists abound as both nations threaten to destroy Ramius’ submarine — but is Ramius’ biggest threat already on board? John McTiernan directed this naval thriller.

1) “The Great Escape”: In the best escape movie ever made, a group of Allied prisoners of war attempt to escape from a specially built German camp. These prisoners, all of whom are previous escapees, attempt to overcome the formidable German defenses by digging a long tunnel to launch a mass breakout attempt. Featuring Steve McQueen, James Garner and Richard Attenborough; one of the best scores of any military movie (written by Elmer Bernstein); and some truly exceptional stunt scenes, this movie will leave audiences entranced and astounded. John Sturges directed this heart-pounding thriller, which, remarkably enough, is based on true events.

Caleb Smith '17 is a Desk Editor from Oakland, California and is majoring in public policy. Outside the Daily, Caleb is Director of news at KZSU Stanford, the campus radio station. Have a tip or suggestion? Please contact him at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.