Fashion Spotlight: Holiday Fashion Tips

As Thanksgiving approaches and many of us prepare to return home for family gatherings, some may fear that they have nothing to wear for holiday events. But don’t fret quite yet — after this article you’ll know exactly how to trick your family into thinking that your style has improved since you last saw them.

1. For starters, let’s talk about fit — arguably the most important thing when it comes to planning your outfit. Honestly, I don’t care what you wear to your holiday events, so long as your clothes fit you properly. (Except I probably would mind if you showed up in sweatpants. Or a body suit.) Fit sounds like it should be pretty simple, right? Not too tight, not to baggy. Simple enough, yet I still see fit disasters on a daily basis. Think about it this way: If the clothes don’t make you feel absolutely fabulous, they probably aren’t the best fit. Good-fitting clothes are always flattering. Choose your best for the holidays!

2. Next item of business: appropriateness — another very important item to consider. There is (usually) a difference between family events and clubbing, right? So be sure to tailor your outfit appropriately. Now is not the time to wear that short new dress you just got, or that controversial T-shirt you wear for fun. Add some tights to that dress, and change your T-shirt! It is time to be classy, at least for a few hours.

3. Finally, be sure to create an outfit.  An outfit is what turns clothes into fashion. Add some jewelry, put on a scarf or have those cute, detailed knee-high socks peek out from your boots. Need some accessorizing inspiration?

I am absolutely loving Banana Republic’s Regalia Statement Necklace this season. It’s military-inspired, with just the right amount of sparkle and glam. It also features a ribbon tie behind your neck. Could it get any more perfect?

Not into necklaces? Try a watch! An eye-catching one not only helps you keep track of how much longer you’ll have to wait for pumpkin pie but also completes an outfit quite perfectly. I know it might seem hard to find a nice-looking watch that is not too expensive, but try Nordstrom’s BP Juniors’ department — a lot of their watches are surprisingly around $20, and there are plenty of different styles to choose from. My favorite is their rose-gold-colored Titanium Bracelet Watch.

Who said lip lacquer wasn’t an accessory? I’m currently obsessed with the Rimmel London Show Off Lip Lacquer (available at Walgreens) in the shade Aurora, a lighter and brighter red. I prefer wearing it as a lip stain, by dabbing the product off with a tissue after applying. Wear this lip with an all-black outfit and a few accessories, and you’ll be perfectly ready for the holidays.

Now that you have these tips, go home and impress your family with your new fashion knowledge! If you create a unique enough outfit, they might even start thinking you always dress that nicely…