Top 5 non-headlining shows to see this weekend at Outside Lands

(FRANCES GUO/stanfordphoto.com)
(FRANCES GUO/stanfordphoto.com)It’s that time of the year again.

Set in the fog-laced ambience of Golden Gate Park, the 2014 Outside Lands kicks off today in dramatic fashion, headlined by self-proclaimed narcissist Kanye West. It doesn’t stop there, though. Saturday’s main attractions include rock legend Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, while Sunday brings “Mr. Brightside” from The Killers.

Now, The Daily knows that the headliners are bringing great excitement to the festival, but there are other less-known gems that should impress you as well. We present to you five non-headlining artists that you cannot miss:

1. Death Cab for Cutie

It’s hard to describe Death Cab’s music. Indie rock? Indie? Alternative? Emo? Well, it doesn’t really matter, because this quartet led by vocalist Ben Gibbard will hypnotize you into a deep reverie with its emotion-filled, instrumental-driven melody. Word on the street is that they’re even better live, even with their seven pristine studio albums and five impressive EPs. Death Cab will also be performing a night show, taking stage at The Independent tonight. What’s most special about the Washington-based band is that it’s appeared at very few major music festivals this year — not even Coachella, Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza.

The only complaint is that their 6-7:10 set at Lands End on Saturday is too short. Our favorite song by them is “Translanticism,” an eight-minute tune filled with mellow notes and nostalgic lyrics. Try not to cry.

2. Chvrches

Hailing from Glasgow, Chvrches began their career just three years ago but have explosively emerged onto the American music scene. Mark our words: Chvrches will be a sub-headliner very soon, so you better take advantage of witnessing Lauren Mayberry’s energetic, yet also adorable, vocals. “The Bones of What You Believe,” their first studio album, was a smashing success featuring two well-known songs: “The Mother We Share” and “Recover.”

It’ll be hard for you to recover from the synthpop band’s stage-takeover. Our advice for you is to get there early. Don’t let the 3:00 set fool you: Lands End will be packed.

3. Disclosure

Undeniably the greatest breakout electronic group this past year, Disclosure has taken the spotlight by storm with its debut album “Settle.” The garagey duo is best known for “Latch” — which helped bolster Sam Smith’s popularity — but has plenty of songs up its sleeves, including “You & Me” and “When a Fire Starts to Burn.” Disclosure finds a happy medium between hard nightclub party music and down-tempo relaxing house.

If you also happen to be a Kanye fan, Friday will be perfect for you. Disclosure’s set at Lands End is at 7:35, less than an hour before Yeezus starts making a scene.

4. Tiësto

Outside Lands has never been big on EDM, and unlike its SoCal counterpart Coachella, the festival didn’t jump on the EDM bandwagon that has found its way through many music festivals. But, fear not, because this A-list DJ will be shattering your eardrums during this groundbreaking performance replete with a light show. If all you know is “Red Lights” and “Wasted,” don’t worry because he’s definitely mixing them into his set list. For those who are more well-versed in EDM, you will appreciate some of his trance classics.

Tiësto conflicts with The Killers as both artists will be closing out the festival on Sunday night. We know it’ll be one of the hardest decisions of the weekend, but if you go to see the EDM king, he’ll leave your ears tingling — and your fist-pump arm exhausted — even hours after the last beat.

5. Chromeo

Yes, we know Grouplove is playing at the same time on Friday. But if you’re looking for a giant dance party, Chromeo is the way to go. Its most well-known song, “Jealous (I Ain’t With It)” has a catchy beat accompanied by lyrics that are way too relatable. Excuse The Daily’s synthpopiness, but you have to admit that this Canadian electro-funk duo knows how to wow the crowd with its fascinating combination of keyboards and talk box. Stop by Lands End today at 5:00 to catch some dance beats. You won’t regret it.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].