Meyer Library closes permanently, relocating services to Lathrop

Aug. 25, 2014, 6:46 p.m.
Stanford Daily File Photo
Stanford Daily File Photo

Last Friday at 4 p.m., Meyer Library closed its doors permanently, its services relocated to the new Lathrop Library, which was renovated from the former Graduate School of Business (GSB) South Building over the summer.

According to a press release from Gabrielle Karampelas, director of communications for Stanford University Libraries, the decision to relocate the services currently housed in Meyer was made in 2007 when a seismic safety evaluation found that costs of bringing Meyer into compliance with current safety standards would exceed the cost of renovating another existing space on campus.

Lathrop Library will now host the 24-hour study space, the East Asia Library, the Digital Language Lab, the Flexible Class Lab, large format printing, multimedia equipment rental and other services provided by the Libraries’ Academic Computing Services Team.

In order to commemorate the 48-year-old building, Stanford University Libraries is encouraging the Stanford community to share their memories of Meyer on Twitter using the hashtag #ByeMeyer.

All services offered by the Academic Computing Services Team will be available on the first floor of Lathrop Library beginning Sept. 2 for September Studies students, while the East Asia Library will occupy the second and third floors and be open starting Sept. 15. An opening celebration for the East Asia Library will also take place the following month on Oct. 1.

Catherine Zaw was formerly the Managing Editor of News for Vol. 245 and Vol. 246. To contact her, please email [email protected].