You should be watching… High Maintenance

High Maintenance's non-traditional protagonist is a 30-something weed dealer.  Photo via reelgood.com.au
High Maintenance’s non-traditional protagonist is a 30-something weed dealer.
Photo via reelgood.com.au

I’m about to recommend a video series. It’s been around for 2 years, so I can’t claim to be ahead of the times on this one, but I feel like it’s probably still relatively unknown on the Stanford campus. If High Maintenance is old news to you: congratulations! You win. Now don’t make fun of me. And you should stop reading because you’re probably too hip to be going to Stanford anyways.

Each episode of High Maintenance focuses on a different set of characters in New York City. The one person who holds these vignettes together is the bike courier weed dealer who appears in each episode, usually to sell weed to the characters who are the focus of the episode. Many of the characters are parodies of various types of self obsessed young adults (in the fashion industry, hipsters etc.) but others, like our drug dealer’s niece, are genuine and elicit real emotion. Episodes can be sad, like the one about a man who is in love with our dealer, and tries to win him over with baked goods, or hilarious, like the one in which a guy discovers that his fashionable, high maintenance (ha ha) girlfriend is actually homeless. Each episode is only around eight minutes long, which makes it possible to watch all 13 episodes in one day, which I highly recommend doing if you’re looking for a break from midterms. You can find High Maintenance for free on Vimeo.

You’re welcome.