This Week In Stanford History: November 10 – 12

The Stanford Daily, Volume 118, Issue 35, 10 November 1950: Papooses Host Cubs in “Little Big Game”

As we approach the famous Big Game against UC Berkeley, it only seems fitting to look at past Big Games.  While there are certainly lots of memories associated with Big Game (how could anyone ever forget when the band rushed the field in what is now called The Play during the Big Game  of 1982?), what many people don’t know or remember is that also used to be “Little Big Games”.

The Little Big Game was held between the freshman rosters from Stanford and Cal, the Papooses and Cubs respectively.  This is an interesting throwback not only because the “Papooses” reference to Native American babies reminds us that Stanford’s mascot was at one point unfortunately the Indian, but it also reminds us that there used to be freshman-only sports.

And if you’re curious, the Papooses were able to defeat the Cubs about 64 years ago today.

The Stanford Daily, Volume 66, Issue 29, 11 November 1924: Worry Hinders Students, States UC Professor

Read through Yik Yak at any time of day on the Stanford campus and you will get the idea that students often feel behind or are very stressed by the amount of work they have to do.  Apparently academic-related stress was a less known phenomenon in 1924, as Professor Andrew Lawson’s opinion that student performance is threatened by stress was considered novel.

As Lawson put it, it “is a pity and a loss to society that so many students devote the best years of their lives to college, and then get so little out of it.” The science has probably evolved on this issue since then, but just a little reminder: don’t stress too hard going into Week 9.

The Stanford Daily, Volume 188, Issue 37, 12 November 1985: Investigate Fairly

Police brutality and police’s role on college campuses have been prevalent topics in conversation recently, whether it be in the discussion of the Ferguson, Missouri case or the fining of sexual assault protesters at Columbia University.  While Stanford’s campus has been host to many protests pertinent to these issues in the past few weeks, Stanford has not had these same issues.  Not too long ago, however, this was not the case.

This time of year in 1985, nine students at an anti-apartheid sit-in were arrested.  These arrests were quickly associated with allegations of misconduct when students returned from their stay at North County jail with bruises.

The University’s response was to announce the formal discontinuation of “faulty practice”, with no further disciplinary or investigatory measures.  However, as Stanford Law Professor John Kaplan put it, “Students here are not insulated from the law, but as it stands now, the Stanford police force is insulated from disciplinary action.”

Contact Ada Throckmorton at adastat ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Ada Statler '18 is an earth systems major hailing from Kansas City (on the Kansas side, not Missouri). She's most passionate about environmental journalism, but cares about all things campus-related.