Top 5 eateries in Palo Alto on a student budget

Dining out on a college student’s budget in pricey Palo Alto can be tough. But that doesn’t mean we should have to sacrifice quality! Here are some eateries with food that’s both appetizing and affordable, where you can often get a delicious meal for under $10.

1. Anatolian Kitchen: 2323 Birch Street, Palo Alto

Anatolian Kitchen on Birch Street. Photo by Gabriela Groth.

Family-owned with a charming, homey atmosphere, the Anatolian Kitchen serves traditional central Turkish and Kurdish cuisine. Fresh bread is prepared in an open kitchen throughout the day, and the waiters are known for their good taste in wine. There is outdoor dining on the sidewalk, so try to eat outdoors if you can. Although their desserts may be a bit overpriced, the food is, on the whole, reasonably priced and done comfortingly well.

2. Sancho’s Taqueria: 491 Lytton Avenue, Palo Alto

Sancho's Taqueria. Photo by Gabriela Groth.
Sancho’s Taqueria. Photo by Gabriela Groth.

The folkloric Mexican artwork featured on the walls of Sancho’s Taqueria is representative of the busy and colorful atmosphere within. Small and easily crowded, this taqueria is known for its culinary authenticity, with especially renowned fish tacos — a Bay Area favorite. Leave your credit and debit cards behind; this endearing eatery is cash-only.

3. Spice Kit: 340 South California Avenue, Palo Alto

Spice Kit serves Asian street food, Korean and Vietnamese style. With a reputation for a Chipotle style of service (also known as the “Asian Chipotle”), you can pick the structure (banh mi, salad or bowl) and then your base and fillings, for a delightfully flavorful result. Known for its often-appreciated lotus chips and banh mi, Spice Kit has a host of gluten free options as well — a real selling point.

4. Spot a Pizza Place: 115 Hamilton Avenue, Palo Alto

Spot a Pizza Place in downtown Palo Alto. Photo by Gabriela Groth.

Spot a Pizza Place is a familiar go-to for many who search for quality pizza with your typical chain pizza prices. This small, cozy pizza parlor is home to especially good crusts – finely textured, chewy and just the right amount of salty – as well as spectacular homemade ranch dressing. The lunchtime “slice and salad” combo is a particularly good deal.

5. Rick’s Ice Cream: 3946 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto

Rick's Ice Cream on Middlefield Road. Photo by Gabriela Groth.
Rick’s Ice Cream on Middlefield Road. Photo by Gabriela Groth.

This small ice cream parlor is a classic favorite. With over 48 ever-changing flavors, Rick’s has quite the selection. Current favorites include birthday cake (cake batter and sprinkles) and blue moon (Froot Loops-flavored with “super-secret” natural ingredients). It has an equally appealing assortment of other goodies, such as Italian soda, fudge, cake pops, ice cream cakes and cupcakes. A single scoop starts at $3.

Contact Ayushi Vig at avig ‘at’ stanford.edu.