Reid Travis sidelined indefinitely with stress fracture

Freshman forward Reid Travis is expected to be out of action indefinitely due to a stress fracture, according to a statement made Friday by Stanford Athletics.

The 6-foot-8 Minneapolis native is Stanford basketball’s leading rebounder this season, with 76 total rebounds over the team’s 11 games. He especially shined in the Cardinal’s stunning Dec. 23 road upset of No. 9 Texas, when he led all players with 14 rebounds facing a Longhorns squad that is typically one of the best in the nation on the boards.

Travis was the most prominently featured among the Cardinal’s highly touted freshman class this season. Although he hasn’t been too efficient as a shooter and he started out the season struggling from the free-throw line, Travis has been fantastic as a second Cardinal big man alongside fifth-year senior center Stefan Nastic in the first action of his collegiate career.

This injury will likely open up more opportunities for freshman Michael Humphrey, who has already been one of head coach Johnny Dawkins’ first options off the bench. Junior Grant Verhoeven should also figure into the discussion for additional minutes.

Stanford will be the first Pac-12 team to open up conference play when it takes on Washington State at noon today at Maples.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.