Senior awarded Churchill scholarship

Chemical engineering major Sophie E. Miller ’15 was recently awarded a Churchill Scholarship to study at the University of Cambridge for one year.

Miller, a Greenwich, Connecticut native, will pursue a master’s degree in chemical engineering and biotechnology at Cambridge, according to the Stanford Report.

She previously received the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship in 2014, awarded to sophomore and junior college students pursuing research careers in the natural sciences or engineering.

Miller is a member of the Bao Research Group, which investigates organic electronic materials. She will pursue research interests in nanoporous materials for cancer treatment, according to a statement on her lab’s website. The group is led by Zhenan Bao, professor of chemical engineering.

Her research may include tests of in vivo and in vitro performance of metal-organic frameworks as a method of drug delivery in cancer treatment, according to the University release.

Fourteen Americans were awarded Churchill scholarships.

According to the Winston Churchill Foundation’s website, selection criteria include exceptional academic talent and “a capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics by pursuing original, creative work at an advanced level as demonstrated by awards, prizes, research, and letters of recommendation.”

Miller is also a member of the Tau Beta Pi engineering society and the Stanford Jazz Orchestra.

Contact Alice Phillips at alicep1 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alice Phillips '15 is Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. Previously, she worked as the paper's Deputy Editor, Chief Copy Editor, a News Desk Editor and a News Staff Writer. Alice is a biology major from Los Angeles, California.