Registrar’s office responding to FERPA requests

The University Registrar’s office has begun responding to FERPA requests for admissions records associated with last month’s email from The Fountain Hopper. Students who made FERPA requests will be able to access copies of their common application, along with their high school transcript, on Axess.

However, students must make an appointment to view other admissions records, including scorecards and evaluations, in person. University Registrar Thomas Black encouraged students to reevaluate their decision to view their admissions records.

“Please ask yourself: What benefit do I seek from reviewing these additional admissions records (that is, the records beyond those placed in Axess)?” Black wrote in an email sent to students who had submitted requests. “Will my life be better for having reviewed them?”

Black also referred students to a column in Time Magazine where Joel Stein ’93 M.A. ’94 described his negative experience of viewing his admissions file.

Students who wish to view those records may schedule a 20-minute appointment by calling 855-852-6407 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays. The University may redact confidential information, particularly references to teacher recommendations, prior to the appointment.

Contact Michael Gioia mgioia2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Gioia was Managing Editor of Opinions from Vol. 250-251; he also previously led the News division. He is from Plano, Texas and studied History and Modern Languages at Stanford. When Michael is not working for The Daily, he can generally be found reading or drinking coffee.