Instant recap: Stanford defeats Oklahoma, advances to eighth straight Sweet 16

Update: For the full recap of the Cardinal’s win, click here.

• No. 4 seed Stanford defeated No. 5 seed Oklahoma, 86-76, to advance to the NCAA tournament’s Sweet 16 for the eighth straight year.
  • The Cardinal will take on No. 1 seed Notre Dame on Friday night at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.
  • Senior guard Amber Orrange scored a game-high 24 points on 11-of-18 shooting, just two points shy of her career high (26 points vs. Colorado on Jan. 3). She reached the 1,400-point plateau in the game, becoming just the 21st Stanford player in program history to do so.
  • Four players scored in double figures for the Cardinal: Orrange (24), senior Bonnie Samuelson (19), freshman Lili Thompson (19) and sophomore Briana Roberson (13). Stanford improved to 13-0 when they have four scorers with more than 10 points.
  • The Cardinal turned the ball over season-high 20 times in the game — 12 times in the first half. They entered averaging 12.1 turnovers per game this season.
  • Oklahoma guard Gioya Carter dominated the Cardinal offense in the first half, scoring 14 of her team’s first 20 points. She was held to just 4 points in the second half.
  • The Oklahoma zone defense held the Cardinal to just 39 percent shooting and forced 12 turnovers in the first half. Their physical approach led Stanford to take 14 free throws in the period as opposed to just 4 for the Sooners themselves.
  • Stanford started the second half on a 12-2 run and never looked back. Oklahoma come out of the break and shot just 1 for their first 13 field goals from the floor.
  • After being held scoreless in the first half, Samuelson led Stanford with 19 points in the second half on 4-of-6 shooting, 3-of-5 from beyond the arc.

Contact Jordan Wallach at jwallach ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Jordan Wallach is a Senior Staff Writer at The Stanford Daily. He was previously the Managing Editor of Sports, a sports desk editor for two volumes and he continues to work as a beat writer for Stanford's baseball, football and women's volleyball teams. Jordan is a junior from New York City majoring in Mathematical and Computational Science. To contact him, please send him an email at jwallach 'at' stanford.edu.