GSB launches first UK-based teaching program

The Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) is launching its first UK-based teaching program in London. According to the GSB, the Stanford Ignite program is a 10-week course aimed at innovative individuals with an interest in science and technology. It is also offered in Bangalore, India; Beijing; New York City; Santiago, Chile and Sao Paulo, Brazil.

The program is intended to teach students how to monetize their ideas. The course will be part-time and will incorporate remote teaching from California and in-person sessions held in a base at Canary Wharf in London. Key components will include making innovative technology ideas commercial, building and growing a business and instilling a “Silicon Valley” culture.

According to Bethany Coates, assistant dean for Global Innovations Programs at the GSB, the UK’s “rich history of science and innovation” made it the natural choice to host the program.

“We hope that by marrying this [history] with our well-known business acumen and Silicon Valley thinking, we can really help to develop nascent ventures and new lines of business within existing corporation,” Coates said.

Contact Josee Smith at jsmith11 ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

Josee Smith is a senior this year, majoring in anthropology with a minor in Spanish. She is the desk editor for the student groups beat and has spent her last 3 years at The Daily as both a staff writer and contributing writer. Originally from Washington State, Josee came to California for the warm weather and stayed for the awesome reporting. To contact her, please email jsmith11 'a' stanford.edu.