Brennan Scarlett joins Stanford as program’s first graduate transfer

Former Cal defensive lineman Brennan Scarlett will join Stanford football as a graduate transfer for the 2015 season, Stanford Athletics confirmed on Tuesday. Scarlett had initially announced his move across the bay in a letter published in the San Francisco Chronicle on March 10.

Scarlett, who will pursue a master’s degree in management science and engineering, is the first player to make the move to Stanford football as a graduate transfer. His brother, Cameron Scarlett, is also set to join the Cardinal as a freshman this fall.

The Portland, Oregon native was hampered by injuries throughout his career at Cal, only appearing in 18 games over four years. He missed all but five games in 2014 after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament and missed the entire 2013 season with an infection after fracturing his third metacarpal, among other injuries in previous years.

Over his 18 career games with the Golden Bears, Scarlett tallied 54 tackles (9 for a loss) and 4.5 sacks.

Contact Jordan Wallach at jwallach ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Jordan Wallach is a Senior Staff Writer at The Stanford Daily. He was previously the Managing Editor of Sports, a sports desk editor for two volumes and he continues to work as a beat writer for Stanford's baseball, football and women's volleyball teams. Jordan is a junior from New York City majoring in Mathematical and Computational Science. To contact him, please send him an email at jwallach 'at' stanford.edu.