Suspect arrested for April swastika and pentagon graffiti

June 26, 2015, 12:44 a.m.

A 19-year-old man was arrested in Mountain View on Wednesday, June 24, in connection with the spray painting of swastikas and other graffiti on two student residences at Stanford earlier this year.

Lucas Joseph Ninow, who is not a Stanford student, is facing one count of felony vandalism, one count of misdemeanor vandalism and one count of a misdemeanor hate crime.  Ninow was booked into the Santa Clara County Main Jail at 1:20 p.m. Wednesday and was arraigned on Thursday.

The graffiti, including gold spray-painted swastikas and pentagrams, was discovered April 26 on and around several student residences on the row, including Casa Italiana, BOB and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house.

“This level of incivility has no place at Stanford,” President John Hennessy wrote in a statement condemning the vandalism shortly after it was discovered.

“I ask everyone in the university community to stand together against intolerance and hate, and to affirm our commitment to a campus community where discourse is civil, where we value differences, and where every individual is respected,” he added.

Ninow is being held in the county jail in lieu of a $45,000 bond and is scheduled to enter a plea on June 30.

Contact Andrew Choi at andrewyoonchoi ‘at’ gmail.com.