American Idol winner Phillip Phillips plays intimate concert at Bing

July 12, 2015, 9:57 p.m.

Rock and classical are often seen as two conflicting genres. On the surface, rock, with its heavy beats and aggressive undertones, seems completely distinct from the calmer, more refined sound of classical music.  On July 11, pop artist  Phillip Phillips and cellist Dave Eggar, however, showcased a rare synergy between the two music styles as they opened the Stanford Live Concert Series at Bing Concert Hall. Amid the ethereal blue lights of Stanford’s premiere acoustic space, Phillips and Eggar delivered a raw performance, blending smooth strings with Phillips’ coarse, raspy voice.

Opening with some of Phillips’ darker tracks (“Trigger” and “Lead On”) as well as a cover of a benchmark rock song (“No More Tears” by Ozzy Osbourne). Despite the obvious difficulty of performing such an acclaimed piece, Phillips managed to do justice to Ozzy Osbourne, retaining the song’s ansty rhythms. Eggar’s smooth cello music accentuated these somber songs, and Phillips’ voice — which was raw and emotive —  added to the heavy atmosphere. Starting off slowly, this brief set felt intimate despite the crowds amid the packed concert hall.

Additionally, the duo’s synchronization furthered unique crisp blend of styles. Though it was Phillips and Eggar’s first time performing in public together, they were professional and united — giving each other room to showcase their individual talents. During the concert, Phillips periodically paused while singing to let Eggar’s cello take center stage. Eggar, on the other hand, highlighted Phillips’ voice playing the subtlest of music whenever Phillips sang.

As the concert progressed, however, Phillips transitioned  into some of the former American Idol winner’s more optimistic, pop-inspired songs (“Tell Me a Story”). Although these songs lacked the severity and evident seriousness of the previous songs, their catchy lyrics and Phillips’ breathy vocals enthralled.

Between songs, Phillips told jokes, lightening the mood and adding to the intmiacy of the affair. Asking the audience to forgive his “froggy” voice, Phillips would often pause to tell stories from his childhood, conversing with the audience. Eggars also enhanced the seemingly playful atmosphere as he demonstrated the cello’s  versatility —  strumming his cello like a guitar. Eventually Phillips even brought out his old, childhood guitar, singing his most well-know hit, “Home.”

By the end of the concert, Phillips and Eggar had the audience on their feet. Though rock and classical music are often seen as an unlikely combination, Phillips and Eggars’ natural on-stage dynamic highlighted the give and take between the two.

Contact Elia Chen at elia.g.chen ‘at’ gmail.com.