Stanford dominates Boston College in home opener

Aug. 31, 2015, 1:59 a.m.

No. 3 Stanford women’s soccer improved to 2-0 after demolishing Boston College 4-0 Friday evening in the team’s home opener at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium.

Michelle Xiao (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)
Michelle Xiao (5) scored two goals, the first goals of her collegiate career, during the Cardinal’s game against Boston College.  (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

The Cardinal completely dominated possession, maintaining the ball for two-thirds of the game, and played aggressive offense, taking 25 shots and nine corners.

On the defensive end, Stanford suffocated Boston College’s offense: the Cardinal only allowed three shots from the Eagles the entire game and did not give up any corners.

“I think you could see the team was hungry to play,” head coach Paul Ratcliffe told GoStanford. “We were disappointed we couldn’t play the second game in Hawaii [the Cardinals’ second game on their Hawaii road trip was cancelled due to inclement weather] and we traveled back and then we’re here and we’re rearing to go.”

Freshman midfielder Michelle Xiao had an impressive performance in her home debut, scoring the team’s final two goals during the 34th and 46th minutes.

“Michelle is a dynamic player, so technically gifted. [She] can score goals [and has] one of the best shots of the team,” Ratcliffe said.

After a handball from Boston College’s Coco Woeltz, sophomore midfielder Andi Sullivan notched her second goal of the season, and the first goal of the game, off of the ensuing penalty kick at the 24:33 mark of the first half, while junior defender Stephanie Amack scored the Cardinal’s second goal just seven minutes later.

Five of the team’s six goals so far this season have come from underclassmen. While Sullivan and Xiao combined for three against Boston College, Sullivan and freshman Alana Cook were responsible for Stanford’s two goals against Hawaii in the team’s first game of the season.

Forwards Ryan Walker-Hartshorn, a junior, and Haley Rosen, a fifth-year senior, contributed five and three shots, respectively, and Rosen earned the assist on Amack’s goal.

Junior goalie Jane Campbell collected two saves before being subbed out of the game in the 55th minute. Redshirt freshman Alison Jahansouz and senior Sarah Cox both got over 15 minutes of playing time and were untested in the goal.

The Cardinal next face Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo this Friday, September 4 at 7 p.m.

Contact Alexa Philippou at aphil723 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alexa Philippou '18 is a political science major and a former Managing Editor of The Daily's sports section. She switched from the sports section to news her junior year, where she has worked on the university/local beat since. Being from Baltimore, she is a die-hard Ravens and Orioles fan who cried when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. To contact Alexa, please email her at aphil723 'at' stanford.edu.