Cardinal split home openers against top-ranked opponents

Aug. 31, 2015, 1:41 a.m.

After a highly difficult opening weekend, the No. 6 Stanford field hockey team (1-1) split games against Syracuse (2-0) and Duke (1-1), falling to the Orange in overtime on Friday before overcoming a two-point deficit to beat Duke in overtime on Sunday.

Casey Deeds (left) (RICHARD ERSTED/
Junior midfielder Casey Deeds (left) scored the game-winning goal in overtime against Duke to win the Cardinal the game after the team came back from a 2-0 deficit. (RICHARD ERSTED/

On Friday, the Cardinal fell to an experienced No. 4 Syracuse team 2-1 in overtime. In the eighth minute of regulation, the Syracuse Orange converted on a well-executed short corner. It was a slip left from graduate student midfielder Alma Fenne to sophomore defender Roos Weers, who swept a rocket into the back of the goal.

The Cardinal struggled to maintain possession for the majority of the game but showed a very resilient defensive effort despite being out-shot 22 to five. Syracuse also had 16 short corners to Stanford’s one, a huge offensive advantage for the Orange.

Stanford weathered the Orange’s shots (13 of which were shots on goal) and corners led by senior goal keeper Dulcie Davies, who had 11 saves. Davies’ instincts and reactions kept Stanford in the game until the end.

Late in the second half, senior midfielder Maddie Secco intercepted a Syracuse outlet and took off towards goal. She charged into the circle on a dangerous line through defenders and saw senior attacker Lauren Becker, who was open on the end line. Secco, off a give-and-go to Becker, was able to get behind the goalie and slot the ball into the goal. She tied the score 1-1, taking the game into overtime.  

However, Syracuse won the game on their 16th short corner with less than two minutes left in the first overtime period. Junior forward Emma Lamison was able to capitalize off of a rebound after Davies’ initial save. 

Stanford did not let the early setback define its opening weekend. The Cardinal improved in their second game and made a tenacious comeback against No. 5 Duke to win 3-2 in overtime.

Stanford played with much grit and energy, which paid off when the team tied the game 2-2 in regulation with just 30 seconds left and again when the Cardinal scored the game-winning goal with just 14 seconds left in the first period of overtime.

“Today we used our strength of being gritty and hard-working,” senior midfielder Maddie Secco said, something the team will look to “use to [their] advantage going forward.”

Duke got the upper hand early after scoring two goals within eight minutes in the first half. Both goals were off rebounds from Davies’ saves.

At the half, Duke, who had secured a 2-0 lead, had out-shot the Cardinal 7-4. However, Stanford came out and ground patiently through the second half. Stanford capitalized on its opportunities and put Duke’s defense under a lot of pressure.

With less than 20 minutes left in regulation, the Cardinal earned a short corner. Sophomore midfielder Millie Stefanowicz sent in a sweep hit towards goal, and Secco got a well-angled tip to send the ball into the back of the net, making the score 2-1.

In a clutch play with just 30 seconds left in regulation, junior attacker Fran Tew beat two defenders going to the goal. She sent a hard ball into the middle and junior attacker Kristina Bassi tipped the ball at the near post into the goal, tying the game 2-2.

In overtime, Davies kept the Cardinal alive, making two huge saves before junior midfielder Casey Deeds scored the game winner with 14 seconds left in the first overtime.

Junior defender Caroline Beaudoin, using her speed and strength, charged up the field beating three Duke defenders. As she got into the attacking circle, she connected with Deeds and slotted her a perfect ball to the near post. Deeds laid it out and made a great tip through the legs of the Duke goalie to seal the 3-2 victory.

“It was surreal to score, and we’ve been doing a lot of tipping drills in practice so I felt prepared for that one,” Deeds said.

“[I am] so happy that Casey Deeds was the one to put it in,” said Secco. “She’s been working hard and committing to the attack and I’m glad she was rewarded.”

The Cardinal wrap up their opening weekend on a strong note and have a lot of momentum going into their next games. Secco says the Cardinal “made good improvements in the Duke game, but will continue to progress next week and through the season.”

At The Farm this week, the Stanford field hockey team will take on Indiana on Friday, September 4 at 3 p.m. and Miami of Ohio on Sunday, September 6 at noon.

Kristina Bassi is a junior attacker on the field hockey team.

Contact Kristina Bassi at kbassi ‘at’

Login or create an account