Eight faculty announced as Bass Fellows

Eight faculty members with diverse academic backgrounds have been announced as Bass Fellows, an honor awarding remarkable commitment and devotion to undergraduate students. Three recipients had previously been appointed fellows.

Reappointed faculty members include Mark S. Applebaum from the Music Department, a world-renowned musician known for his electroacoustic work; Russell A. Berman, professor of German studies and recipient of the Federal Cross of Merit presented by the German government; and Rob Reich M.A., Ph.D. ’98, professor of political science whose recent work focuses on the interplay between democracy and philanthropy. Applebaum, Berman and Reich were all previously appointed in 2010.

Among the newly appointed Fellows are Larry Diamond B.A. ’73, M.A. ’78, Ph.D. ’80, senior fellow at the Freeman Spogli Institute and former director of the Center on Development, Development and the Rule of Law (CDDRL); Zephyr Frank, professor of Latin-American history who co-founded the Center for Spatial and Textual Analysis (CESTA); J. Christian Gerdes, professor of mechanical engineering and expert on automotive research dedicated to improving car designs; Elizabeth Hadly, professor of environmental biology and senior fellow at the Woods Institute for the Environment; and Gregory Walton from the psychology department, who studies the impacts of social stereotypes on self-identity and achievement.

Individual Fellows are initially named after different donors, all of whom made significant gifts to the University’s Campaign for Undergraduate Education. The Bass University Fellows in Undergraduate Education program was launched by Anne T., MLA ’07 and Robert M. Bass, MBA ’74, who matched the donations. After holding a specific title, unless reappointed, the honoree retains only the “Bass University Fellow” title, which is held permanently.

Contact Qitong Cao at qitong ‘at’ stanford.edu.