Men’s golf struggles with consistency at The Prestige at PGA West

Despite a strong first day from freshman Brandon Wu and a stellar second round from senior David Boote, the No. 5 Stanford men’s golf team couldn’t maintain consistency through the three rounds of The Prestige at PGA West from Monday to Wednesday and ultimately finished sixth as a team.

Although the Cardinal stood in third place after Tuesday’s second round, none of Stanford’s golfers shot under par on the last day as the Cardinal notched an 8-over 292 third round — the third-worst performance among the 15-team field — to get jumped by three teams in the final tally.

All five golfers on Stanford’s “A” team finished between 23rd and 37th as individuals among the 81 participating golfers, led by Boote’s 2-over 215 finish punctuated by a 4-under second round and an eagle on the par-4 14th.

Freshman Isaiah Salinda and junior Maverick McNealy both finished 4-over on the tournament after McNealy followed up his first-place 3-under 68 on the first day with a 74 and a 75 to fall out of contention for the individual title.

Wu and sophomore Jeffrey Swegle rounded out the pack with twin 6-over finishes to tie them for 37th in the individual results. Meanwhile, Stanford’s “B” team finished at a collective 35-over 887, led by a solid 5-over tournament performance from junior Viraat Badhwar.

The men are next in action from Feb. 28-Mar. 1, when they travel south of the border to Querencia, Mexico, for the Querencia Cabo Intercollegiate, in which the Cardinal finished fifth last season.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dhpark ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.