Softball looks to bounce back against Pacific

Stanford softball (12-7, 0-6 Pac-12) will look to break a three-game losing streak and end non-conference play on a high note when it hosts Pacific (17-13, 0-0 WCC) this Wednesday.

The Cardinal will aim to build upon a strong effort on Sunday in which they fell behind 2-1 before tying the score, ultimately falling just short in extra innings to Oregon State in a game that completed the Beavers’ three-game sweep over Stanford.

The Stanford offense will heavily rely on junior infielder Kylie Sorensen, who leads the team with a .319 average, and senior utility player Kayla Bonstrom, whose .315 clip is second behind Sorenson’s. Meanwhile, Pacific boasts conference-highs in fielding percentage (.966) and double plays turned to combat Stanford’s hitters. Cardinal senior catcher Jessica Plaza comes into Wednesday’s game after a strong performance in the finale against Oregon State, in which her second hit of the night, a near-homer, brought in Stanford’s game-tying run.

On the pitching side, freshman Carolyn Lee, who pitched the entire game on Sunday, has been the main contributor on the mound in recent games, though sophomore Haley Snyder may get the start to rest Lee in this non-conference matchup. Pacific’s Rachel Sellers and Sara Anderson, both of whom bat north of .380, could cause some trouble for the Cardinal starter.

Stanford’s final non-conference game will commence at 6 p.m. on Wednesday.

Contact Alexa Philippou at aphil723 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alexa Philippou '18 is a political science major and a former Managing Editor of The Daily's sports section. She switched from the sports section to news her junior year, where she has worked on the university/local beat since. Being from Baltimore, she is a die-hard Ravens and Orioles fan who cried when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. To contact Alexa, please email her at aphil723 'at' stanford.edu.