Six Stanford professors elected to 2016 class of American Academy of Arts and Sciences

The American Academy of Arts and Sciences (AAAS) tapped six Stanford faculty members to join the 2016 class. The new members include the following: Eavan Boland, director of Stanford’s creative writing department and the Bella Mabury Professor in Humanities; Jennifer Eberhart, associate professor of psychology and co-director of Stanford’s Social Psychological Answers to Real-World Questions; Gerald Fuller, Fletcher Jones II Professor in the School of Engineering; Helen Longino, Clarence Irving Lewis Professor of Philosophy; M. Elizabeth Magill, Richard E. Lang Professor of Law and dean of Stanford Law School; and Anne Villeneuve, professor of developmental biology and of genetics.

AAAS is one of the nation’s oldest and most renowned honorary learned societies. There are more than 250 Nobel laureates and 60 Pulitzer Prize winners as members. The society is now comprised of over 4,600 fellows, as well as 600 foreign honorary members in the fields of medicine, mathematics, business, government, the arts, public affairs, the physical and biological sciences, and the social sciences and humanities. AAAS will hold a ceremony to induct the 236th class on Oct. 8 in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Sophie Stuber is a senior from Aspen, Colorado, studying International Relations, French and Creative Writing. Sophie has written for the Daily since freshman year . This year, she spends a significant portion of her time working on her thesis, which is about designing an international legal framework to aid people forcibly displaced due to climate change. Aside from academics, Sophie loves reading, writing short stories, listening to NPR, and adventuring outside. Any of her friends will tell you that she loves to talk about the mountains, skiing, Atlantic articles, and Rebecca Solnit essays.