Indianapolis Colts sign Andrew Luck ’12 to largest contract in NFL history

July 4, 2016, 11:56 a.m.

On Wednesday, former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck ’12 signed a contract extension with the Indianapolis Colts that will make him the highest-paid player in the NFL, based on guaranteed salary.

The massive contract, announced by owner Jim Irsay via Twitter, will give Luck $140 million over six years with $87 million in guaranteed money, per ESPN. Barring an unlikely trade, Luck will remain with the Colts through the 2021 season. Luck’s $87 million in guaranteed money surpassed the previous two largest guaranteed salary contracts, which belonged to Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

Luck had a legendary career at Stanford and was the one of the catalysts of Stanford football’s recent run of success. Alongside head coach Jim Harbaugh, the Texan native helped lead Stanford to its first winning season in eight years in 2009. The team would would lose only three times in the next two years, as he lead the Cardinal to consecutive BCS bowl appearances and year-end top 10 rankings. A two-time Heisman runner up, Luck left the Farm in the top 5 in passing completions, yards and touchdowns in school history, etching his name alongside the likes of John Elway and Jim Plunkett among Stanford quarterbacking greats.

Luck was drafted first overall by the Colts in 2012, and was immediately tasked with replacing Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. Luck made the transition a smooth one, leading the Colts to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons, culminating in an appearance in the 2014 AFC Championship Game. He struggled in 2015 however, missing a total of nine games due to injury and turning the ball over 13 times in just seven games. Fully healthy and with an offensive line bolstered by highly touted rookies, Luck will look to make this upcoming season his most successful one yet.

Contact Matthew Oh at mjoh99 ‘at’ gmail.com