Frost music festival to take place in stadium due to construction

A meeting of the Graduate Student Council (GSC) on Wednesday night discussed funding for the Frost music festival this year. They also discussed upcoming social events for the graduate community.

Ateeq Suria ’17 reported that the group organizing the Frost festival was looking into forming a graduate student group similar to the Viennese Ball organization. Suria also reported that Frost will be held in the football stadium as the Frost Amphitheater is being upgraded. He stated that the event may therefore be more expensive than last year’s event. Suria also reported that the event is slated for the weekend of May 14 and 15.

The GSC heard updates on the upcoming graduate housing information session and on the upcoming Valentine’s Day party. The housing information session, which will be held next Wednesday at noon, will provide guidance to graduate students on finding off campus housing. The Valentine’s Day party is being organized by the Escondido Village Community Associates and the Graduate Life Office. The specific details of the event are still being worked out, but the party is expected to feature wine, a photo booth and a caricaturist.

The GSC approved funding for the Stanford Japanese Association, the Black Law Student Association, the Stanford Association of New Zealanders, the Korean Students Association and the Stanford India Association. The GSC rejected a funding request by Stanford Triathlon because their funding request was seen as contrary to the funding guidelines and funding limits.

The GSC also confirmed the Graduate Elections Commissioner, Kali Allison.

Correction: A previous version of this article mistakenly identified Ateeq Suria’s class year as ’16 and not ’17. The Daily regrets this error.

Contact Caleb Smith at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Caleb Smith '17 is a Desk Editor from Oakland, California and is majoring in public policy. Outside the Daily, Caleb is Director of news at KZSU Stanford, the campus radio station. Have a tip or suggestion? Please contact him at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.